[pjw] ACTION: Rally Sat August 15 @ noon, to Support Iran Nuclear Agreement, Pioneer Courthouse Square

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Thu Aug 13 16:54:55 EDT 2015

Friends
Last night the Iraq Affinity Group agreed to cosponsor the below event
calling for support on the Iran nuclear deal. It is happening Saturday (2
days from now!) at noon in Pioneer Courthouse Square. As mentioned in a
previous email, this does not mean that we are ignoring the hypocrisy of
the US telling someone else whether or not they can have nuclear weapons.
It also, we noted last night, doesn't mean we appreciate that the
Non-Proliferation treaty and this deal allow for Iran to produce nuclear
power plants, since there's no such thing as "away" for nuclear waste.
Finally, this is also not a litmus test of support for any individual or
political party-- this is our way of supporting a diplomatic initiative
that is designed to avoid more war.

That said, here's the announcement for the event, which was generated by
our friends at Jewish Voice for Peace-Portland over a list moderated by
the American Iranian Friendship Council.
--dan h

Contacts:	Maxine Fookson mfookson at gmail.com
                Ned Rosch  503-381-7011  rosch.ned at gmail.com
 		Negar Mortazavi   negarmortazavi at me.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Portland Will Rally August 15 to Support Iran Nuclear Agreement

At Pioneer Square in downtown Portland at noon on Saturday August 15,
2015, people will gather to show support for the historic Iran nuclear
agreement reached several weeks ago between Iran and the UN Security
Council's five permanent members (China, France, Russia, the United
Kingdom, and the United States) plus Germany.  The accord calls on Iran to
limit its nuclear activities to allow only a nuclear energy program in
exchange for the lifting of economic sanctions.  The lifting of sanctions
is so important as Iran s economy has greatly suffered since the
imposition of international sanctions.  The accord has been heralded by
nuclear scientists worldwide as being strong and verifiable.

In spite of the fact that this agreement will make the world and the
Middle East a safer place and allow for the beginning of peaceful
relations between Iran and the United States, intense, multi-faceted,
expensive campaigns to kill this agreement and the prospect for a
sustainable peace have been unleashed by Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu
and AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee). This in spite of the
fact that a majority of American Jews - and a strong majority of Americans
in general - support this agreement.

President Obama has warned, the alternative to this agreement is another
billion-dollar war in the Middle East. The continuation of enmity with
Iran could result in further destabilization in the region, an increase in
migration and an escalation of the refugee crisis, as well as a growth in
the threat of terrorism and extremism.

Portland organizers strongly support the negotiated agreement between
world powers and Iran.  We share the conviction that a negotiated
agreement is the only way to alleviate international concern about Iran's
nuclear program and avert war.

At the same time that Portland rallies to show support for the Iran
agreement, thousands of people in more than 40 cities around the world
will gather in a "Global Day of Peace with Iran"  to also show their
support for this historic nuclear agreement.

See also: http://www.supportirandeal.com/

The Portland rally is co-sponsored by American Iranian Friendship
Council-PDX, Americans United for Palestinian Human Rights, Friends of
Sabeel North America, Jewish Voice for Peace-PDX, Oregon Physicians for
Social Responsibility, Veterans for Peace Chapter 72 and Peace and Justice
Works Iraq Affinity Group.

###