[pjw] UPDATES: Today's Guantanamo action, KBOO interview 9 AM, more history

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Mon Jan 11 10:02:47 EST 2016

Hi
Reminder we will be at SE Hawthorne and Grand from 3:30-5:30 PM rain or
shine today; hourly forecast indicates it may actually be clear for most
of that time.

Just FYI, three Guantanamo detainees were released last week
after we drafted our news release, so the number I sent yesterday should
have been 104, not 107.
<http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/resource/guantanamo-numbers>

The fact sheet we will be handing out today can be found at
<http://www.pjw.info/Guantanamo14ylfacts.pdf>.

For those of you reading this in the early morning, KBOO's Old Mole
Variety Hour will feature an interview with John Linder, one of the
steering committee members of CAUSMIME (the Coalition Against US Military
Intervention in the Middle East) which organized against Gulf War I. This
is both in recognition of the 25 year anniversary coming up and our event
on Friday at 4:30 PM. If you miss it the hour should be archived on line
soon at
<http://kboo.fm/OldMoleVarietyHour>.

And finally, in today's history lesson of 25 years of the US occupation of
Iraq, here's a flyer from our 2001 event marking 10 years since the war
began, which includes a very interesting fact sheet on p. 2 outlining the
similarities between the situation in 1991 and the situation in 2001:
<http://www.pjw.info/gw25yl/GW10yl_flyer.pdf>.

I also found that the announcement for that event is still posted on our
website at:
<http://www.pjw.info/GW10yl.html>.

That event wwas well attended and well received, and we created a timeline
stretching from ancient history to 2001 which I've been using in part to
select these historical documents. Starting tomorrow we inch forward to
Iraq War II in 2003 and beyond...

See you leter?
dan h
Peace and Justice Works