[pjw] EVENTS/RSVP: PJW Teams Up with PPRC for 4 Friday Rallies: Aug 5, Sep 9, Sep 23, Oct 7

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Wed Jul 27 21:41:06 EDT 2016

Hi Iraq Affinity Group supporters and other allies

Since we're coming up on the 15th anniversary of 9/11, and thus 15 years
of non-stop military hostilities by the US, the Peace and Justice Works
Iraq Affinity Group has set plans for four upcoming Friday Rallies
cosponsored with the Portland Peaceful Response Coalition (PPRC). As they
have been every Friday since November 2001, each of these events will be
at 5 PM at Pioneer Courthouse Square at SW Yamhill and Broadway.

The highlighted event will be on *Friday, September 9,* with an expanded
rally titled
"Casualties of Endless Wars: Lives, Compassion, The Economy, Privacy and
the Environment,"
billed as a "rally/march marking 15 years since 9/11."

The idea is to outline the damage done since Sept. 11 2001 in wars,
xenophobia/Islamophobia, wasted money, violations of civil liberties, and
damage to the climate.

We are planning to, for the first time ever, bring our 12' tall Tower of
Peace down to Pioneer Courthouse Square, but to avoid violating rules
we're going to make it mobile! We need to raise about $100 to purchase
furniture dollies and hardware to boost the Tower off the ground to make
it easy to roll around. (And yes, we did do a test run with borrowed
equipment to be sure it works!) So if you can donate some or all of the
$100 please send it our way ASAP so we can have the construction done by
September 9.

You can download a flyer for the event at
<http://www.pjw.info/911_15yl_flyer.pdf>.

Prior to that, in just 9 days on *Friday, August 5,* we will cosponsor the
Friday rally with the theme:
"2 Years since Iraq War III and Ferguson, 71 Years since Hiroshima."

We will use this event to tie together the power of state violence abroad
that began on August 8 2014 with the third round of US bombings of Iraq
since 1991, and the police violence against Michael Brown in Missouri and
the hundreds of other examples of African Americans dying at the hands of
a racially biased system. The event will also be used to remember the
bombing of Hiroshima on August 6, 1945 and to promote the
Hiroshima/Nagasaki memorial on Tuesday, August 9 that, as we mentioned
previously, we're cosponsoring with Oregon Physicians for Social
Responsibility (more info coming soon).

After the big rally on the 9th, we will also join PPRC for these two
Fridays:

September 23: 2 Years of US War on Syria

October 7: The Afghan Invasion 15 Years Later

If your group wants to cosponsor any of these events (no cost, but
donations welcome!), you want to volunteer to help out, or you as an
individual want to donate funds please contact PJW via email, mail, or
donate through our website (addresses below).

Thanks!
dan handelman