[pjw] Event: Veterans for Peace reclaims armistice day Fri 11/11, 11 AM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Tue Nov 8 15:21:28 EST 2016

Hi
Our friends at Veterans for Peace Chap 72 are keeping up their tradition
of remembering what "veterans day" is actually commemorating-- which is
peace.
dan h
peace and justice works

  Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 20:26:52 -0700 From: Becky Luening
Subject: #ReclaimArmisticeDay

To: A Message from VFP72 to All Who Are Working For Peace

Veterans For Peace Chapter 72, Portland, Oregon, will hold a celebration
of Armistice Day at 11 a.m. on Friday, November 11, at Pioneer Courthouse
Square in downtown Portland. At 11:11, we will chime our bells 11 times to
commemorate the anniversary of the end of the first World War 98 years
ago, and then celebrate the peace holiday originally known as Armistice
Day with poems, readings, and speakers. This is a public celebration, and
all are invited! Look for the black-and-white VFP flags.

            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Almost a hundred years ago, the world celebrated peace as a universal
principal. The first World War had just ended and nations mourning their
dead collectively called for an end to all wars. Armistice Day was born
and was designated as “a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace
and to be thereafter celebrated."

After World War II, the U.S. Congress decided to rebrand November 11 as
Veterans Day. Honoring the warrior quickly morphed into honoring the
military and glorifying war. Armistice Day was flipped from a day for
peace into a day for displays of militarism.

Veterans For Peace has taken the lead in lifting up the original intention
of November 11th—as a day for peace. As veterans, we know that a day that
celebrates peace, not war, is the best way to honor the sacrifices of
veterans. We want generations after us to never know the destruction war
has wrought on people and the earth.

Veterans For Peace is calling on everyone to stand up for peace this
Armistice Day. More than ever, the world faces a critical moment. Tensions
are heightened around the world and the U.S. is engaged militarily in
multiple countries, without an end in sight. Here at home we have seen the
increasing militarization of our police forces and brutal crackdowns on
dissent and people’s uprisings against state power. This year, with a
political arena fueled by hate and fear, the conversation of peace was
missing from almost every interaction. It is as urgent as ever to ring the
bells for peace. We must press our government to end reckless military
interventions that endanger the entire world. We must build a culture of
peace.

This Armistice Day, Veterans For Peace calls on the U.S. public to say no
to more war and to demand justice and peace, at home and abroad. We know
Peace is Possible and call for an end to all oppressive and violent
policies, and for equality for all people.

S. Jenika
President
Veterans For Peace Chapter 72
"Promoting a Consciousness of Peace"