[pjw] INFO: AUPHR vigil/rally against moving US Embassy to Jerusalem Fri 5 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Wed Dec 6 16:44:04 EST 2017

Hello IAG supporters

Below is a piece from Gush Shalom, a peace group in Israel, about
President Trump's unilateral, ill-considered announcement to move the US
embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Below THAT is an
announcement from Americans United for Palestinian Human Rights (AUPHR)
about an emergency event they are holding this Friday, December 8 at 5 PM
at the federal building downtown. (I imagine the PPRC Friday Rally may
march there from their corner at Pioneer Square SW Yamhill/Broadway.)

For my part I want to add that the people I met in Iraq in my trips there
(in 1997 and 2002) were pretty clear that one of the only ways to ensure
peace in the "Middle East" would be to resolve the Israeli/Palestinian
issue. And this was while they were under stringent US/UN sanctions and
being bombed in "No-Fly Zones" by US planes.

Also, I heard a commentator on the radio say this was the stupidest thing
an American President could do. Perhaps, unless his goal is to foment
instability to take attention off his other shortcomings and ensure the
"need" for a military budget and a "homeland security" apparatus.

I am hoping Congress can withhold funds to move the embassy and/or take
actions to prevent this destructive decision.

dan h.