[pjw] REPORT BACK/ACTION: Say no to more troops for Iraq/Syria wars

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Mar 18 13:31:46 EDT 2017

Hey Iraq Affinity Group supporters
About 25 of us marched about in the rain last night to mark 14 years since
the war on Iraq began. The actual anniversary is tomorrow, so it's as good
a time as any to take action!

Below is an email we sent to Representative Earl Blumenauer on Thursday.
It contains many of the points we raised in the fact sheet we handed out
yesterday, which you can find at
<http://www.pjw.info/iraq14ylfacts.pdf>.

We encourage you to write your own email to your own Congress people
asking them to invoke the War Powers Resolution to stop President Trump
from continuing to deploy troops into hostilities for more than 60 days
without congressional approval by voting the bring the troops home now!
And of course it's probably worth it to add that we want to spend that
$54 billion he has planned for the military on human needs, not war.

We took the PPRC march on a slightly longer route than usual knowing many
people would be out and about on St. Patrick's day and found many
supporters willing to take literature. We passed out roughly 70 fact
sheets and got a lot of thumbs up and "keep up the good work" comments.
There were also, sad to say, several naysayers who came by us in the
Square and heckled us on the route, I guess they like war. One Coast Guard
veteran came by to thank us for being peaceful.

I saw folks from VFP Chapter 72 and Occupy Portland Elder Caucus, and at
least one person identified as having seen our event promoted by Oregon
PSR. Two others had seen it on the Mercury's Resistance and Solidarity
calendar, which is remarkable both because until President Trump was
elected, the Mercury has never promoted a PJW event in its 17 years and
because it wasn't carried in the print edition's activist calendar, just
on line. (The calendar drops old dates automatically but can be found at
<http://www.portlandmercury.com/events/resistances-and-rallies>, our event
is still up there at
<http://www.portlandmercury.com/events/18846240/the-quagmire-continues-14-years-in-iraq>
). If other group reps were there that I failed to recognize here I'm
sorry!

Anyway, thanks to all who supporter and attended. Here's the email to
Blumenauer (which you can also find on our site at
<http://pjw.info/blumenauer_troops0317.html>.

dan h