[pjw] EVENT REMINDER: "End the Endless War on Afghanistan" rally and march Friday 10/6, 5 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Mon Oct 2 18:09:14 EDT 2017

Hello again Iraq Affinity Group supporters

This is a reminder that this Friday, October 6 we will be conducting our
last of three planned co-sponsored PPRC Friday Rallies under the banner
name "Opposing America's Ongoing Wars," this one to mark SIXTEEN YEARS
since the beginning of the war in Afghanistan.

In the media listing below there is a link to the flyer for the event. You
may also want to download and print out the fact sheet we created for the
Sept. 22 event, which we'll be handing out again Friday:

http://www.pjw.info/syria_afghanfacts0917.pdf

So we hope you can join us on what still looks like a decent weather day
at 5 PM at Pioneer Courthouse Square (SW Yamhill and Broadway)... but I
note here that PPRC has been on that corner every Friday since November
2001 rain, show, shine, cold, hot, whatever holding down a space for peace
and justice.

See you Friday?

dan handelman

  -----------
Peace and Justice Works
   Iraq Affinity Group
   PO Box 42456
   Portland, OR   97242
   (503) 236-3065  (Office)
   iraq at pjw.info
   http://www.pjw.info/Iraq.html

CALENDAR ITEM

For Immediate Release      October 2, 2017

OPPOSING AMERICA'S ONGOING WARS: "End the Endless War on Afghanistan"
Pioneer Courthouse Square
SW Yamhill & Broadway
Friday  October 6, 2017 5:00 PM
PPRC Rally/March for Peace and Justice

Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group is co-sponsoring the Portland
Peaceful Response Coalition Friday Rally on Friday, October 2, with the
theme ""End the Endless War on Afghanistan." The rally will begin at 5 PM
at Pioneer Courthouse Square, SW Yamhill and Broadway, and includes a
march that will start about 20 minutes later. In keeping with the
overarching theme for three rallies being cosponsored from August to
October, "Opposing America's Ongoing Wars," the Iraq Affinity Group
continues to call for an end to US threats against North Korea, with
which the US has technically been at war since 1950. The armistice of
July 1953 was not a peace treaty, so that war is technically even
longer than war in Afghanistan, which began 16 years ago on October 7,
2001.

After President Obama first sent in a "surge" of troops and then withdrew
"all combat troops," there has been an ongoing US presence involved
directly in ground raids, air raids, and drone strikes. It was revealed by
Military.com on August 30 that the US has been undercounting the number of
troops in Afghanistan.

    The long-standing official number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan, or
    Force Management Level, has been 8,448, but Marine Lt. Gen. Frank
    McKenzie said for the first time that the actual number in Afghanistan
    is about 11,000.

Foreign Policy reported on September 18 that:
  U.S. planes are dropping more bombs in Afghanistan than at any point
  since Aug. 2012--  when there were 90,000 U.S. combat troops there--
  and are hitting more targets in Iraq and Syria than at any point in the
  three-year campaign, fruit of the Trump administration's looser
  guidelines for authorizing strikes on Islamic State fighters in all three
  countries.

PJW calls for all the troops to come home and to divert the obscene amount
of money being spent on the military-- over $600 billion a year-- to
be used for human needs at home.

A flyer for this event can be found at
http://www.pjw.info/PPRCrallies08_10_17.pdf

For more info:
Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group (503) 236-3065;  iraq at pjw.info
or http://www.pjw.info/Iraq.html. Portland Peaceful Response Coalition Friday
Rallies have occurred at 5 PM every Friday since November 2001. October 6
their 832nd consecutive rally.