[pjw] JOIN US! at the Iraq Affinity Group meeting Monday, October 9, 7 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sun Oct 8 16:03:08 EDT 2017

Portland area folks dedicated to peace and justice:

This is both a reminder that our Iraq Affinity Group meeting is tomorrow
night (Oct 9 at 7 PM) and a recruitment call hoping you will join us!

As noted in the IAG's mission statement, we're focused on the effects of
US policy not only in Iraq but pretty much anywhere there's overt or
covert military action going on.

We just completed the third in a series of three Friday Rallies calling
attention to some of the 7 current wars (Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan) and are
planning a forum on October 21 covering all those areas plus Korea, Iran,
Russia, and the violence of right-wing extremists in the USA.

Our mission also speaks about the domestic costs of war-- which not only
means the budget, but policies around sending the national guard overseas.
We hope you saw the letter we sent to Governor Brown Thursday signed by 17
Oregon-based organizations, two military family members and the national
Veterans For Peace-- that's a big deal!

We can't do this alone; there's always more to do. For example, the
turnout was decent at Friday's rally but we may have had more people if
we'd had the person-power to post the event more widely at online
calendars, and we could have contacted the media ahead of time to help
promote and cover it (KBOO did announce it a few times which was great).

Unlike PJW's other main affinity group Portland Copwatch, the Iraq AG does
not require you to take an orientation to attend. We spend about 20
minutes each month reviewing the news to help us focus our organizing
priorities.

We have a 25 year track record of marching and organizing for peace,
including pushing for the end of the sanctions on Iraq and to get the US
to end its occupation... each were arguably achieved to some extent but
there's more work to do. We continue to be the main contact point for
major mobilizations for peace when such multi-organizational, multi-issue
events arise-- connecting issues of human needs, occupation, police
violence, environmental justice, immigrant rights, and so much more to the
powerful war machine.

So please join us tomorrow night and into the future as we work to be sure
all the important and urgent organizing going on under the current
reckless administration also connects to the scourge of military spending
and violence used to enforce US policy overseas.

Thanks
dan handelman