[pjw] MEETING: Iraq Affinity Group meets Monday, April 9, 7 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Wed Apr 4 15:39:34 EDT 2018

Hello again Iraq Affinity Group supporters

The next meeting of the Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group
will be held this coming Monday, April 9 at 7 PM at our office at 2807 SE
Stark. (Meetings are generally on the 2nd Monday of each month.)

Note that we will be discussing our specific plans to protest the
commissioning of the USS Portland on the Willamette River upcoming on
Saturday April 21 at 9 AM. If you or your group wants to be part of this
protest please come to the meeting (even if it's just at 7:25 for the
action planning) or write back.

As usual, if you're unable to attend in person we can try to plug you in by
phone, just let us know if you want to do that.

Here's the proposed agenda for Monday's meeting:

MISSION STATEMENT:
   The Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group is committed to educating
   the public about the effects of U.S. policy on the people of Iraq, and
   other areas including SW Asia, North Africa, and the "Middle East,"
   and on the domestic costs of war.

7:00 PM Political update: brief headlines including what's new in
   Iraq/Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya, Iran, Gaza, Korea, and the US

7:25 PM Proposed and ongoing actions:
     ---Marking 15 years since the Iraq invasion in March 2018
        -- report back
     ---War ship dedication (USS Portland) April 21-- final plans
     ---Letter to congressional reps about Yemen / War Powers-- follow up
     ---Troops home campaign / letter to Governor 2017 & Blumenauer
        and war $ home/ Mayor's Conference--updates
     ---Guantanamo resolution and actions-- updates
     ---Meetings with peace and justice community members
        --in light of likelihood of more wars
          (including follow up to IVAW Jan 5 2017 forum)--updates/action
     ---BDS resolution regarding City investments-- update
     ---Upcoming ideas /opportunities for educational forums/demonstrations
     --Other recent ideas

8:20 PM Other upcoming events/action items (incoming requests)

8:30 PM Other business--finances/fundraising and office space / phone
     Outreach/membership recruitment

8:40 PM Set next meeting
     Announcements

8:45 PM end

Please write back if there is anything missing from the proposed agenda or if
you want to attend but won't be able to make it.

As always, we need your support to help us keep doing our work!
      Donate on line: http://www.pjw.info/pjwdonate.html

--dan handelman
Peace and Justice Works
      Iraq Affinity Group