[pjw] INFO: Letter to Oregon congressional delegates: End war on Yemen

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Fri Jan 26 17:13:40 EST 2018

PJW supporters
We sent the below letter to all 7 elected federal representatives of
Oregon today. FYI, it is not an easy thing to do-- none have email
addresses, so we had to use their web forms to submit everything. Some try
to screen out by zip code, which is off-putting to an organization like
ours which has supporters all over the state.

Anyway, feel free to share with your contacts, your groups, and your reps
if you agree with what we wrote.
--dan h

To Oregon's Congressional delegation: Representatives Earl Blumenauer,
Suzanne Bonamici, Peter DeFazio, Kurt Schrader and Greg Walden and
Senators Jeff Merkley and Ron Wyden:

We are writing to urge you to put an end to the US war in Yemen and
support for the Saudi-led war there.

In December, all five members of Oregon's House delegation voted to
support H. Res. 599, calling for a political solution and pointing out
that there is no Authorization for Use of Military Force in Yemen. That
Resolution passed 366-30.

In June, both Senators voted on S. Res. 42, which called to stop the sale
of arms to Saudi Arabia which allow it to continue conducting the war.
Unfortunately, that Resolution failed 47-53.

You are all aware that the war in Yemen has brought about one of the
worst humanitarian crises on the planet. Our group watched for many years
as Iraq suffered a similar fate under sanctions and bombs-- in that case,
launched by a coalition led by our own country.

Jennifer Newstead, a nominee for legal advisor to the State Department,
admitted that US law prohibits American assistance to countries which
block the flow of humanitarian aid (Foreign Policy, December 19). Deputy
Assistant Secretary of State Tim Lenderking said there is no military
solution to the war in Yemen, calling instead for "aggressive diplomacy"
(Al Jazeera, December 22).

Since our entire delegation has already shown its support for the people
of Yemen, Peace and Justice Works calls upon all seven of you to take the
following steps:

1) Make this matter a focus of any public appearances, especially media
appearances.

2) Take steps to strengthen the resolutions by creating or supporting
legislation (such as H. Res. 81) that would stop:
a) the flow of arms to Saudi Arabia,
b) the use of American aircraft to help refuel Saudi planes,
and
c) the use of US drones and ground troops (confirmed by NBC on December
20), which only add more fuel to the flames of conflict in Yemen.

3) Ensure humanitarian aid is supported financially and can find its way
to the Yemeni people.

We look forward to your prompt responses.

Dan Handelman, Wayne Haythorn and other members of
Peace and Justice Works