[pjw] REPORT BACK/FACTS: Iraq 15 Years Later: Forever War?

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Mon Mar 19 17:06:51 EDT 2018

PJW supporters
Though you may not notice it in most mainstream corporate news outlets,
today marks exactly 15 years since the US invasion of Iraq. Let that sink
in.

On Friday, our cosponsorship of the PPRC Friday Rally led to the doubling
of the usual attendance. We received a lot of the usual honks of support
and thumbs-ups, but we also had at least three Iraq War veterans approach
us with a lot of anger. The last one said he would have supported us if
our picket sign said "End the Wars- Bring Our Troops Home" instead of "End
the Wars- Bring Our $ Home," because he was a troop not some money. We do
have such signs, they weren't there. We broke out into the "Out of Iraq-
bring 'em back- troops home now!" chant but he was already on the Max
train.

We didn't get a lot of fact sheets handed out before the rain started
coming down. Also, not surprisingly, no media coverage. But that's ok,
hundreds of people saw us and had to think about our ongoing legacy of
bombs, fractiousness and endless war.

Below is the content of the fact sheet we handed out. It is also online
laid out with graphics and large headline for easy printing as a PDF at:
http://www.pjw.info/iraq15ylfacts.pdf

Thanks to all who helped make it happen!
dan h

-----------------

Iraq 15 Years Later: Forever War?
March 16, 2018

Fifteen years ago on March 19, 2003, despite some of the largest protests
in global history, the US invaded Iraq. Then-President George W. Bush
began the invasion with a barrage of missile attacks nicknamed "Shock and
Awe." Due to 13 years of US/UN sanctions, Iraqis at the time had limited
access to electricity, medicine and food. Tens of thousands of Iraqis died
in the invasion and subsequent fighting. And although the US declared
"Mission Accomplished" on May 1, 2003, the war in Iraq continues today.

The first war in Iraq was the "Gulf War" that began in January 1991, which
continued with the sanctions and bombings in so-called "No-Fly Zones." The
invasion, which Congress approved in a 2002 Authorization for Use of
Military Force, was designed to remove Saddam Hussein from power. Although
that goal was accomplished, the 2002 AUMF remains in effect today and has
been cited by the Trump administration as the reason the US was able to
use military force against the Islamic State (ISIS). The fight against
ISIS, arguably the third Iraq war, started in August 2014. The US claimed
victory after the devastating "liberation" of Mosul, which caused the
death of roughly 9000 civilians (Associated Press, December 20).

In late 2011, President Obama followed up on a pledge made by President
Bush to withdraw US combat troops, but left about 500 military personnel
there as "advisors" and to protect the US embassy in Iraq-- the world's
largest. The fight against ISIS led that number to swell to roughly 9000
under Presidents Obama and Trump, even though the US official tally was
around 5000 (ABC, November 27), and the Pentagon's stance remained that no
soldiers were engaged in combat. There are also almost 5000 "contractors"
in Iraq (Army Times, January 16). In the efforts to push ISIS out of
Mosul, the US damaged or destroyed all of that city's bridges -- imagine
that happening in Portland. A formerly five minute trip reportedly took
over two hours as of early 2018 (Agence France Presse, Janaury 1). Even
with the reported defeat of ISIS in December, the US continues to support
Iraqi forces, dropping bombs with conventional and drone aircraft
("Friendly fire kills 11 in Iraq air strike," Reuters, January 27;
"U.S.-led coalition warplanes kill 13 Islamic State militants in Mosul,"
Iraqi News, February 12), and about 4000 troops remain (Associated Press,
February 5). NATO has also pledged to remain in Iraq (Al Jazeera, March 5)
even though the Iraqi Parliament has asked all foreign forces to set a
date to withdraw (Reuters, March 1).

The sanctions put in place against the late Saddam Hussein's regime in
1990 included requirements for Iraq to repay Kuwait for their invasion of
that country. Iraq still has to make payments despite its dire financial
and political situation. Making matters worse, Donald Trump told NBC in
January 2017: "We should've kept the oil when we got out"-- as if the US
had the right to take Iraq's oil. The US initially made no promises to
give money to Iraq's reconstruction after the defeat of ISIS (Reuters,
February 8). The estimates of America's costs of the wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan are about two trillion dollars, which doesn't include
treatment for over 600,000 US veterans who are now listed as disabled
(Lobelog, February 17). At least 4500 American soldiers and 180,000 Iraqi
civilians (with an estimated 80,000 more Iraqi combatants) died as a
result of the invasion and subsequent wars.

The US is currently engaged in active warfare in seven countries-- Iraq,
Syria, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, Pakistan, and Libya.* Various
government activities and statements indicate possible military actions
planned for Iran, Venezuela, North Korea and perhaps even Russia. The
military budget proposed by President Trump is over $700 billion as he
plans to cut social safety nets (Truthout, February 27). Our
infrastructure is crumbling, schools are cutting important programs (but
considering using scarce funds to arm teachers), and thousands of people
have no homes or health care in what is supposedly one of the wealthiest
nations on earth. It is far past time to reduce America's footprint in the
Middle East by downsizing the US Embassy in Baghdad and bringing all the
troops home now!

* Peace and Justice Works also notes that March 19 marks seven years since
the US attack on Libya unleashed turmoil in that country.

This flyer was prepared
in March, 2018 by the
Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group
PO Box 42456
Portland, OR 97242
iraq at pjw.info
www.pjw.info/Iraq.html
(503) 236-3065
Contact us about our meetings !
Meetings usually 2nd Mondays, 7 PM; next one is April 9.