[pjw] MEETING: Iraq Affinity Group meets Monday, May 14, 7 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Wed May 9 19:49:58 EDT 2018

Greetings Iraq Affinity Group supporters

The next meeting of the Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group
will be held this coming Monday, May 14 at 7 PM at our office at 2807 SE
Stark. (Meetings are generally on the 2nd Monday of each month.)

I did not realize that the UN Security Council voted 3-8 with four
abstentions, defeating Russia's effort to condemn the US strikes in Syria
last month.
  http://www.france24.com/en/20180414-syria-air-strikes-un-rejects-russia-bid-condemn-attack-chemical-weapons-civilians-assad

We will discuss this and much other recent news as we set plans for our
next actions.

As usual, if you're unable to attend in person we can try to plug you in by
phone, just let us know if you want to do that.

Here's the proposed agenda for Monday's meeting:

MISSION STATEMENT:
    The Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group is committed to educating
    the public about the effects of U.S. policy on the people of Iraq, and
    other areas including SW Asia, North Africa, and the "Middle East,"
    and on the domestic costs of war.

7:00 PM Political update: brief headlines including what's new in
    Iraq/Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya, Iran, Gaza, Korea, and the US

7:25 PM Proposed and ongoing actions:
     ---War ship dedication (USS Portland) April 21-- report back
     ---Emergency protest against Syria bombing April 14-- report back
     ---Hiroshima Day event August 6 with Oregon PSR-- updates
     ---Planning next action by PJW Iraq Affinity Group/allies--discussion
     ---Letter to congressional reps about Yemen / War Powers-- follow up
     ---Troops home campaign / letter to Governor 2017 & Blumenauer
        and war $ home/ Mayor's Conference--updates
     ---Guantanamo resolution and actions-- updates
     ---Meetings with peace and justice community members
        --in light of likelihood of more wars
          (including follow up to IVAW Jan 5 2017 forum)--updates/action
     ---BDS resolution regarding City investments-- update
     ---Upcoming ideas /opportunities for educational forums/demonstrations
     --Other recent ideas

8:20 PM Other upcoming events/action items (incoming requests)

8:30 PM Other business--finances/fundraising and office space / phone
      Outreach/membership recruitment

8:40 PM Set next meeting
      Announcements

8:45 PM end

Please write back if there is anything missing from the proposed agenda or if
you want to attend but won't be able to make it.

As always, we need your support to help us keep doing our work!
       Donate on line: http://www.pjw.info/pjwdonate.html

As a reminder, the Ann Huntwork Fund for Creative Action supported our
protest of the USS Portland; if you want to see more actions like that be
sure do donate specifically to that fund!

--dan handelman
Peace and Justice Works
       Iraq Affinity Group
       PO Box 42456