[pjw] NEWS/ACTION: Trump vetoes Yemen (anit-)war resolution (Wash Post 4/16)

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Wed Apr 17 13:17:49 EDT 2019

Hi
As the Portland Mercury put it in their blog post this morning pointing to
the Washington Post this morning:

  Despite passing the House and being approved by the Senate, Trump went
  ahead and vetoed a resolution that would end US participation in Yemen's
  civil war. "This resolution is an unnecessary, dangerous attempt to
  weaken  my constitutional authorities, endangering the lives of American
  citizens and brave service members, both today and in the future," Trump
  said in a statement that he clearly did not write.

Tim Kaine's quote at the end that starts with "I hope my colleague's
won't..." is confusing, but I think he clearly wants the Congress to urge
a veto.

***If any of you live in Oregon's 5th district and can contact Rep.
Greg Walden to urge him to help over-ride the veto that would be great.**
The vote was 43 shy of a 2/3 majority in the house so whatever we can to
to edge that number up, we should.

--dan h

----

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-vetoes-resolution-to-end-us-participation-in-yemens-civil-war/2019/04/16/0fabc312-60a1-11e9-bfad-36a7eb36cb60_story.html

Trump vetoes resolution to end U.S. participation in Yemen's civil war
By Felicia Sonmez ,Josh Dawsey and Karoun Demirjian April 16 at 8:53 PM

President Trump on Tuesday vetoed a resolution that would have ended U.S.
support for the Saudi-led military campaign in Yemen.

The move, which had been expected, marks the second veto of Trump's
presidency.

"This resolution is an unnecessary, dangerous attempt to weaken my
constitutional authorities, endangering the lives of American citizens and
brave service members, both today and in the future," Trump said in a
statement.

The measure had passed the House on a 247-to-175 vote this month and was
approved by the Senate last month with the support of seven Republicans.

This month's House vote marked the first time both chambers had acted to
invoke the same war-powers resolution to end U.S. military engagement in a
foreign conflict. It also represented the latest instance of Congress's
challenging Trump's decisions as commander in chief.

The veto means the United States will continue its involvement in Saudi
Arabia's bombing campaign against Yemen's Houthi rebels, waged in the name
of holding back Iran's expansion in the region.

But the Saudi-led effort, which has targeted civilian facilities and
prevented aid shipments from getting to Yemenis, has been faulted by human
rights organizations for exacerbating what the United Nations has deemed
the world's worst humanitarian catastrophe.

A senior administration official said that Trump was involved in drafting
and editing the language of Tuesday's veto statement and that he had told
senators for some time he was going to issue a veto.

"It should come as a surprise to nobody," the official said.

Trump viewed the Yemen vote as a rebuke of his administration after the
killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi and urged some senators not to
go along with it, according to White House and congressional aides.

The CIA has concluded that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the country's
de facto ruler, ordered Khashoggi's killing. Even so, Trump has resisted
holding Mohammed responsible and has continued to embrace him and other
Saudi leaders.

The president has grown frustrated with Congress for some of its votes
that seemed designed to admonish him, such as the decision to remove
sanctions on Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska -- who has ties to former
Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort -- and the pushback against Trump's
declaration of a national emergency to secure funding for his
long-promised U.S.-Mexico border wall.

Trump's first veto, issued last month, was of a congressional resolution
disapproving of his emergency declaration. The president spent more time
whipping votes against that measure than against the Yemen resolution,
aides said.

The decision to keep support for the war in Yemen is perplexing to some
members of the administration, considering the president is usually
inclined to remove U.S. troops from all conflict zones.

In his State of the Union address in February, Trump declared, "Great
nations do not fight endless wars."

At the same time, Trump continues to want to keep strong ties with Saudi
Arabia and does not share the view of Congress that the kingdom needs to
be punished for the killing of Khashoggi, aides said.

In his statement announcing the veto, Trump defended the U.S. involvement,
arguing that "it is our duty to protect the safety of the more than 80,000
Americans who reside in certain coalition countries that have been subject
to Houthi attacks from Yemen."

He also urged members of Congress to instead focus their energies on the
drawdown of U.S. troops in Afghanistan and Syria.

"Congressional engagement in those endeavors would be far more productive
than expending time and effort trying to enact this unnecessary and
dangerous resolution that interferes with our foreign policy with respect
to Yemen," he said.

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), who sits on the Senate Foreign Relations and Armed
Services committees, responded Tuesday night that with his veto, Trump
"shows the world he is determined to keep aiding a Saudi-backed war that
has killed thousands of civilians and pushed millions more to the brink of
starvation."

"I hope my colleagues will show we won't tolerate the Trump
administration's deference to Saudi Arabia at the expense of American
security interests by voting to override this veto," he said.