[pjw] INFO: City Council passes resolution against sanctions/war in Iran

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Thu Nov 14 13:18:35 EST 2019

Hi Iraq Affinity Group supporters

Yesterday three members of City Council-- Mayor Wheeler, Commissioner
Fritz (who sponsored the resolution) and Commissioner Eudaly-- unanimously
passed the resolution against US war and sanctions, and for diplomacy with
Iran. Commissioners Hardesty and Fish were absent.

There was great testimony from members of the Iranian American community
including Goudarz Eghtedari of American Iranian Friendship Council and
Sahar Yarjani Muranovic, Executive Director of Oregon NOW (who spoke about
Iran at our forum last Tuesday).

Partly because of the confusion that happened when the Iran resolution and
the resolution to support the UN ban on nuclear weapons got swapped in
order, and partly to save time, the Council heard public testimony on both
items at the same time... in between the invited panel speaking about
nukes and the panel on Iran.

You can watch the whole thing here:

https://youtu.be/wZxAACJ6pqg?t=1h36m58s

My testimony comes at about 2:07; I noted that PJW is supportive of ending
nuclear weapons, noted we sent over 150 signatures in asking for the
Council to pass resolutions on Iran and Venezuela, talked about how Iran
is being blamed for anything that goes wrong in the region, and connected
the harm of the sanctions to what happened in Iraq.

The testimony against nuclear weapons included first and third generation
hibakusha (survivors of the Hiroshima bombings), a Marshall Islander and
an atomic veteran.

Though the Council was prepared to pass the resolutions anyway, they were
clearly moved by the testimony. And in a surprise twist ending, out in the
hall the Mayor actually said the same thing to me that I said to people
as we left the chamber-- it's nice to be on the same side every once in a
while. It's great to come out of that building with a win of some kind
even if it's just going on record with a anti-war policies rather than,
say, banning military manufacturing or transport of radioactive materials
in the city.

Anyway, thanks to all who wrote in, signed the petitions, and/or were
generally supportive. Our next steps include helping Veterans For Peace
get the no war on Venezuela resolution before Council as soon as possible.
It's seeming as if the forced resignation of Evo Morales was likely
heavily influenced by the US.

dan handelman