[pjw] REPORT BACK: Friday rally #3 under stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Apr 11 17:37:09 EDT 2020

Hello again supporters of PJW

Four people made it down to Pioneer Courthouse Square this week for the
limited-attendance, limited-action Friday rally and march; two PJW members
and two PPRC folks.

As with the last two weeks, we did not use a bullhorn and did not chant
along the march route. Also, again, nobody took fact sheets from our
little green wagon of peace. Several of us had face coverings, trying to
figure out the differing orders from the CDC and the World Health
Organization on their efficacy. We all stayed socially distant from each
other and the few passers-by.

We did get a bunch of thumbs up and honking horns and a few pedestirans
stopped by to express how bad it was to keep spending money on war when we
have these other crises in our midst.

Unfortunately we also had one person dressed in a reflective vest
(seemingly a construction worker) who approached, showed his Army and
American flag patches, and bragged about having been in the special forces
and killed people. He walked away with his buddies so we didn't have time
to engage in dialogue asking whether that was really something to be proud
of with all the death around us now.

We talked about issues including the announced ceasefire between Yemen and
Saudi Arabia, US troops being pulled out of bases in Iraq and not being
sent into new rotation in Afghanistan, and the Portland Copwatch call to
action for people to report warnings (or citations or arrests, which
apparently haven't happened yet) by Portland Police related to the stay
at home orders. (Incident report line: 503-321-5120 voice or text.)

Meanwhile, we reached out to the organizers of other area ongoing peace
vigils. Full information is on our website at
http://www.pjw.info/ongoingvigils.html
but in short, the regular vigils in Portland on Tuesdays and Saturdays
(Burnside Bridge and Lloyd Center), in Beaverton on Wednesdays (at the
Library), and in Oak Grove (near Mcloughlin Fred Meyer) have all been
suspended due to the pandemic.

The Sandy Peace Vigil (first Fridays) has become "virtual" via email, for
info you can contact Mary at <sandypeacevigil at gmail.com> ,

Peace and Justice Works will continue to hold down the space on Fridays
with no more than people from our group so long as we're still technically
able to meet in City Parks and go out for our 20 minute healthy walk (with
picket signs) within the bounds of the governor's and city guidelines. As
always if you want to be added to the "on call" list in case one of us
can't make it down there please let us know.

We hope you are doing well and continuing to advocate for peace and human
rights amidst the equally chaotic and calm days we're experiencing.