[pjw] EVENT reminder: Hiroshima/Nagasaki memorial online Thurs 8/6 6 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Tue Aug 4 16:32:19 EDT 2020

Hello again Iraq AG supporters

Below is a reminder that the Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility
memorial event is in two days, on Thursday, August 6, via online
platforms. As noted earlier, the Iraq Affinity Group has been involved in
the planning for this and is signed on as a cosponsor. PSR asked that
people share the link to their web page rather than the direct zoom
link when promoting the event.

https://www.oregonpsr.org/save_the_date_august_6th_hiroshima_nagasaki_75th_anniversary_memorial

Meanwhile, former Defense Secretary William Perry did an interview where
he said we're more likely than ever to be in a nuclear war, and called
nuclear weapons more of a liability than an asset.

https://www.kcrw.com/news/shows/to-the-point/william-perry-jerry-brown-nuclear-weapons

Finally, for now, since this coming Sunday, August 9 marks 75 years after
the bombing of Nagasaki, we will retain the extra message and some of the
signs from last Friday's special event, though we'll broaden the focus
back out to include things like:

--August 9 is also 6 years since Michael Brown was killed in Ferguson, MO

--August 8 marks 6 years since the third phase of the War on Iraq
   (after the 1991 "Gulf War" and 2003 invasion) as the US
   began bombing the so called Islamic State.

--the apparent drawdown of federal law enforcement from downtown Portland

Thanks
dan handelman