[pjw] REPORT BACK: Friday rally #17 under stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Jul 18 18:54:12 EDT 2020

Fellow peace and justice activists

Last night at the Friday rally we had six people, all wearing masks,
holding up signs for peace and police accountability. The first
announcement related to new posters I added to the little green wagon of
peace, promoting the rally coming up in just under 2 weeks on July 31.
That rally will focus on the 75 year anniversary of the bombings of
Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and be used to promote the annual commemoration
which will be online this year.

http://www.pjw.info/hiroshima75yl.html

More on these events in the next few days.

Meanwhile I can report that we had a much healthier set of supportive horn
honks and pedestrian passers-by this week. Maybe it was the cool breeze
that we needed during the hot days of summer.

We talked a bit about the federal law enforcement agents who have been
upping the ante at Portland Protests in the last week or so, including
hitting a young person in the head with a "less lethal" projectile causing
serious injury. They also are using tear gas, which is prohibited by a
judicial order for Portland Police, but not the feds. Trump doesn't
believe in civil rights, COVID, or the US Department of Justice's own
directive for Portland Police to not use so much force. That said, my
comment on our Mayor's response is that he's essentially said "you can't
attack our protestors, only my police can attack our protestors!"

We also discussed the continued ramping up of US military presence in the
South China Sea, which seems intended to provoke a confrontation and help
the President's sagging approval ratings.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-navy-two-carrier-strike-groups-south-china-sea-again-2020-7

We also talked about how the US is negotiating to keep troops in both Iraq
and Afghanistan despite Trump's verbal pledges to get them all out.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-general-confident-iraqis-american-troops-remain-iraq/story?id=71660962

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/07/17/withdrawing-troops-afghanistan-and-germany-still-good-idea

Along the route we noted that the Israeli annexation of the West Bank is
most likely to happen as it has been for over 50 years-- slowly and by
creating "facts on the ground" rather than a formal declaration. We also
noted that Israel is toying with the idea of starting a war with Iran
before the elections in case Trump leaves office.

https://www.businessinsider.com/israel-hoping-iran-confrontation-before-november-election-sources-2020-7

We attempted to capture video again as we walked near the Apple store,
we'll let you know if it came out and when it's posted. Around that spot
we also renewed the call for money being used for health care, housing,
education and other human needs rather than war and policing.

I haven't had time to research the mystery of the electronic sign gremlins
yet but will follow up this week.

Last note, if you are interested in joining us one time or on an ongoing
basis please RSVP! For now we are allowed to have up to 25 people at the
SW corner of Pioneer Square each Friday at 5 PM, but it helps to know how
many signs to bring if we know who's expected.

Thanks and peace

--dan handelman
Peace and Justice Works
        Iraq Affinity Group