[pjw] MEETING/RSVP (&Updates): Iraq Affinity Group "meets" Monday, June 8, 7 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Wed Jun 3 13:25:09 EDT 2020

Hello Iraq Affinity Group supporters

Before the meeting announcement, I want to encourage people to keep
writing to the Governor, Mayor and US Attorney about the use of the
National Guard here in Portland. While the Governor seemingly threaded the
needle by appeasing Trump while only deploying 50 Guard members to take on
tasks not involving direct crowd control (and, allegedly, no weapons), it
is still a slippery slope to involve them in civilian law enforcement
within the USA.

It is of course also important to do whatever we can to stop the Commander
in Chief from following through on his threat to invoke the Insurrection
Act to send the US military out to put down the current uprising. It is
the time to listen, not the time to double down on white supremacy and
violence.

If you are able to see the statement made by Dr. Markisha Smith of the
Office of Equity and Human Rights at this morning's City news conference I
urge you to do so. She cut through a lot of the empty words from the Mayor
and Chief and talked about imperialism and a system that is meant to
support white supremacy.

Anyway, the next meeting of the Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity
Group will be a conference call held this coming Monday, June 8 at 7 PM.
Please RSVP if you would like the call in number and access code.

(Meetings are usually on the 2nd Monday of each month.)

Here's the proposed agenda for Monday's meeting:

MISSION STATEMENT:
   The Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group is committed to educating
   the public about the effects of U.S. policy on the people of Iraq, and
   other areas including SW Asia, North Africa, and the "Middle East,"
   and on the domestic costs of war.

7:00 PM Political update: brief headlines including what's new in Iraq,
    Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya, Iran, Gaza, Yemen, Korea,
    Venezuela and the US

7:25 PM Proposed and ongoing actions:
    ---Friday rallies for peace and justice-- Reports/updates
    ---City Council candidate questionnaire-- next steps (runoffs)
    ---How to hold emergency response amidst pandemic-- update
    ---Actions to oppose war / war crimes on Iran-- discuss
      --City Council resolutions against wars / Iran & Venezuela --updates
    ---Zaher Wahab talk on Afghanistan-- updates
    ---Hiroshima day event -- updates
     ---Ann Huntwork fund / "US Out Of..." sign-- updates/plans
     ---Letter to congressional reps about Yemen / War Powers-- follow up
     ---Troops home campaign / letter to Governor Nov 2019
         & Blumenauer, plus war $ home/ Mayor's Conference--updates
     ---BDS, City investments and other local actions-- updates
     ---Joint Terrorism Task Force campaign-- updates
     ---Upcoming ideas /opportunities for educational forums/demonstrations
     --Other recent ideas

8:15 PM Other upcoming events/action items (incoming requests)

8:25 PM Other business--finances/fundraising and office space / phone
      PJW summer quarterly meeting July 26 12 noon / mailing 7/2- updates
      Outreach/membership recruitment

8:35 PM Set next meeting
        Announcements

8:40 PM end

Please write back if there is anything missing from the proposed agenda or if
you want to attend but won't be able to make it.

As always, we need your support to help us keep doing our work!
       Donate on line: http://www.pjw.info/pjwdonate.html

--dan handelman
     Peace and Justice Works
       Iraq Affinity Group