[pjw] EVENT (update): "The US and Afghanistan: A Fateful Partnership" Mon 6/29 7 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Mon Jun 22 18:47:32 EDT 2020

Hi again Iraq Affinity Group supporters!

FYI we have updated the flyer and webpage for next Monday's livestreaming
event to include Veterans For Peace Chapter 72 who are now cosponsoring.

http://www.pjw.info/zaher_afghanistan062920.html .

We also have a VERY low tech promotional video up on our site-- but you
have to go to this direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Uf_B8fJp0

or view "all videos" since it was livestreamed.* Spoiler alert: It's just
the top half of the flyer with no audio, but instructions for the event
next week. When you go to our youtube page there will be a "live now" link
at 7 PM that night which you will click on to get to the presentation.

As noted before, in addition to organizational cosponsors ($10-15 sliding
scale) we're encouraging individuals to donate to the Iraq Affinity Group
as well to cover expenses.

Continue to circulate widely--

Thank you
dan handelman

*- at least that's what I can figure out so far...

-------

Peace and Justice Works
    Iraq Affinity Group
    PO Box 42456
    Portland, OR   97242
    (503) 236-3065  (Office)
    iraq at pjw.info
    http://www.pjw.info/Iraq.html

The US and Afghanistan: A Fateful Partnership
a presentation with Professor Zaher Wahab
Monday, June 29, 2020 7:00 PM
Streaming live on Youtube at
https://youtube.com/peaceandjusticeworks

Join Peace and Justice Works (PJW) Iraq Affinity Group for an evening with
Professor Zaher Wahab speaking on "The US and Afghanistan: A Fateful
Partnership." The event will be live streamed on Monday, June 29 at 7 PM at the
PJW youtube page: https://youtube.com/peaceandjusticeworks. The all-important
discussion about racism, police accountability and the militarization of police
is directly related to US foreign policy, which is why PJW has Portland
Copwatch as a project group as well as the Iraq Affinity Group.

Professor Wahab is an Afghan American who taught at Lewis and Clark College for
four decades before teaching at the American University in Afghanistan for six
years ending in October 2019. Frequently visiting the country before then, he
witnessed the US Occupation over 18+ years.

While Donald Trump negotiated a treaty with the Taliban (bypassing the Afghan
government) and claims he wants American troops out, the agreement allows the
US to leave 8500 troops in Afghanistan. The US continues to conduct airstrikes,
frequently killing civilians.

Professor Wahab will describe a country riddled with violence and corruption,
made all the worse by an ongoing US presence.

The event will be hosted by Ani Haines, a well known area media personality who
spent decades at KBOO-FM community radio.

Instructions for adding to the Q&A period will be posted at the time of the
event.

The presentation is coordinated by Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group.
Cosponsors include Veterans For Peace Chapter 72 and Eastside Democratic
Club. Endorsers include Portland Central America Solidarity Committee and
others.

This talk was originally scheduled for the end of February 2020 but delayed by
the Governor's stay-at-home orders. PJW is pleased to have supportive allies
helping us make the technological leap to an online event.

For more information, especially if your group would like to cosponsor or
endorse this event, contact Peace and Justice Works at 503-236-3065 or
iraq at pjw.info .