[pjw] REPORT BACK: Friday rally #6 under stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat May 2 17:50:02 EDT 2020

Greetings supporters of peace and justice:

Yesterday's limited-attendance Friday rally had five people at it holding
down the SW corner of Pioneer Courthouse Square, with two PJW members and
three people from PPRC. Most of us had face coverings.

Once again we did not use a bullhorn and did not chant along the march
route, but we did receive a few thumbs ups and supportive horn honks (one
came following our sole heckler).

We talked about some news items such as President Trump threatening not to
fund emergency needs in states which have "sanctuary" immigration laws,
and a federal appeals court blocking him on that.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-court-idUSKBN22C408

We also noted that as of Monday, the US had bombed Somalia 39 times this
year-- not only is that at a pace faster than last year's record 63
strikes by the US in that country, it is, so says the Intercept, more than
all strikes by the US in Somalia _during President Obama's entire 8 year
time in office_.

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/22/coronavirus-somalia-airstrikes/

We also talked about the ongoing clear connection between our country's
obsession with funding them military when that money could have been used
to create a health care system much better equipped to handle the
pandemic.

I mentioned again that Portland Copwatch is still asking for people to
contact its incident report line (503-321-5120) if they get warned, cited
or arrested for violating the stay at home orders.

OK, Peace and Justice Works will continue to take responsibility for
holding down the space on Fridays with no more than a few people from our
group. The Governor is looking at ways to loosen the stay-at-home orders,
and if that happens, we may be able to find ways to safely invite others
to join us.

Thanks

--dan handelman
Peace and Justice Works
   Iraq Affinity Group
   PO Box 42456
   Portland, OR   97242
   (503) 236-3065  (Office)
   iraq at pjw.info
   http://www.pjw.info/Iraq.html

* Don't forget-- we need your donations to be able to keep doing this
   work! Any amount from $5 to $250 is great; you can set up monthly,
   quarterly or annual donations on line at Network for Good via our web
   link at http://www.pjw.info/pjwdonate.html *