[pjw] REPORT BACK: Friday rally #9 under stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sun May 24 15:21:59 EDT 2020

Wow, it is amazing how time flies and yet things seem to stand still.

On Friday we held the ninth Friday Rally since the Governor's March 23
stay at home order, meaning Peace and Justice Works has taken the lead on
this 18.5+ year event for nearly two full months now.

There were 6 people at the limited-attendance rally, three PJW and three
Portland Peaceful Response Coalition members. Most of us had face
coverings, we did not use a bullhorn-- though I have rigged up a tiny
traffic cone with a handle to make some announcements (which I do through
my scarf).

We talked about a number of things including the shipment of gasoline that
had left from Iran to head to Venezuela, prompting fears that the US' navy
"drug interdiction" ships would interfere. However I'm glad to report that
the ship docked in Venezuela earlier today with no immediate problems.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52789276

As is often the case we received quite a number of supportive honks and
waves both in Pioneer Courthouse Square and along our march route. There
was one person who expressed negativity toward us but that was definitely
the exception.

Nobody took fact sheets.

I raised the question along the way about what's going on with Guantanamo
under the pandemic.

This article from March 24-- 2 months ago-- says that at least one sailor
at the base (not the prison) had contracted COVID-19.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/489211-navy-sailor-at-guantanamo-tests-positive-for-coronavirus

On May 3 the NY Times reported they are trying to find ways for the
prisoners to talk with lawyers over video conferencing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/us/politics/guantanamo-september-11-coronavirus.html

Once again I reminded everyone that Portland Copwatch is still asking for
people to contact its incident report line (503-321-5120) if they get
warned, cited or arrested for violating the stay at home orders, as we
want to track whether police action is being enforced inequitably. The
Portland Police announced they are planning to start houseless camp sweeps
in Old Town as soon as this weekend.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/05/portland-plans-to-disperse-some-large-encampments-of-homeless-people.html

While all 35 other counties in Oregon are opening back up in "phase 1,"
Multnomah County remains in full stay-at-home mode for now. We continue to
try to hold these events in compliance with those guidelines.

Finally, I am reminded that when we first started as a group, Peace and
Justice Works used to hold a Peace and Justice Fair on Memorial Day
(1992-95, 1997 & 1999) to honor those who gave their lives by working
toward a world with no more wars. I can't imagine what we'd have done
under the pandemic to bring together dozens of groups who had literature
tables, our kid-friendly activities, free food, music and speakers.

We're all learning to adapt, and I guess we would have done that then as
well.

--dan handelman
Peace and Justice Works
    Iraq Affinity Group