[pjw] EVENT REMINDER: Rally/March: "76 Years Later, We're Still Building Nukes" Fri, August 6 5 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Tue Aug 3 21:55:42 EDT 2021

Hi again IAG supporters

I usually try to send out these emails during "business hours" but the
heat is making it difficult to concentrate in here. We're getting ready to
replace the old air conditioner unit (in-wall, 75 lbs, mounted 6 ft up in
the wall)-- if anyone has experience, can offer physical help or advice
let me know. For now it's 90 degrees in the office.

Which is not to distract from the fact that this Friday is the 76th
anniversary of the US needlessly, recklessly and cruelly dropping an
atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan, and following that up three days later
with another radioactive slaughter in Nagasaki.

This is a reminder that our Friday Rally for Peace and Justice will start
at 5 PM at Pioneer Square, and we will march to the outskirts of the
Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility event at 6 PM that day. They
outline their COVID protocols at their site where you need to register to
attend their ceremony in the park followed by a march to see an art
exhibit called "We Hold Sacred" a few blocks away at the Japanese American
Museum of Oregon Annex.

To RSVP go to their website at
https://www.oregonpsr.org/hiroshima_nagasaki_memorial_ceremony_and_art_exhibition

As for our event, you can still find the below information on our website
at

http://www.pjw.info/HiroshFriRally2021.html

along with a poster.

Share widely, and maybe we will see some of you on Friday?

Peace

dan handelman

-------------------------
Peace and Justice Works
    Iraq Affinity Group
    PO Box 42456
    Portland, OR   97242
    (503) 236-3065  (Office)
    iraq at pjw.info
    http://www.pjw.info/Iraq.html

                76 Years Later, We're Still Building Nukes
                    Hiroshima/Nagasaki Remembered 2021
                         Friday, August 6, 2021 5:00 PM
                    Weekly Friday Rally for Peace and Justice
                           Pioneer Courthouse Square,
                             SW Yamhill and Broadway

August 6 marks 76 years since the bombing of Hiroshima, and August 9 the
anniversary for Nagasaki. Tens of thousands of civilians were killed
instantly and many more died later from the effects of the nuclear
weapons. President Biden and Russian President Putin agreed at their June
summit that "Nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought" (Deutsche
Welle [DW] June 16). Yet the US just approved new multi-billion dollar
contracts to develop air-to-air nuclear weapons and to upgrade
intercontinental ballistic missile capabilities. The United Nations voted
to make nuclear weapons illegal-- though the US did not vote in favor of
that resolution. It is time to stop spending our money on war and weapons
that can destroy all life and instead focus on human needs and the
environment!

We will march to Waterfront Park to show support for Oregon Physicians for
Social Responsibility's 6 PM limited in-person Hiroshima memorial event.
Check PSR's site (oregonpsr.org) for COVID protocols for their event and
to pre-register.

The Friday Rallies for Peace and Justice were started in November, 2001
shortly after the US invasion of Afghanistan, and hosted by Portland
Peaceful Response Coalition until March, 2020, when the Peace and Justice
Works Iraq Affinity Group took over hosting duties.

For more information, or if your group would like to cosponsor or endorse
this event, contact Peace and Justice Works at 503-236-3065 or
iraq at pjw.info.