[pjw] INFO: Auditor's office won't look for improper PPB info sharing with feds

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Mon Aug 30 19:17:48 EDT 2021

Peace and Justice Works and Portland Copwatch supporters:

Back in April, the Auditor's office contacted us for input into a planned
audit they are doing on the Police Bureau's Criminal Intelligence Unit--
the unit that houses officers deputized to take part in the Joint
Terrorism Task Force. Also, I would add, the unit that improperly spied
on our organization twice in the 1990s (1992 at our first meeting and
1998 during a protest against a bombing of Iraq).

We sent them a lengthy email including our history with the CIU and why
it's important that someone audit their files to be sure they're both in
compliance with the state law prohibiting collecting or maintaining
information on people's social, political or religious affiliations with
no suspicion of criminal conduct. We noted that as part of the
resolution of the case Squirrel v. City of Portland (aka Squirrel v.
Moose, after the PPB Chief at the time), the City was required to review
CIU files every 2 months and 2 years. The Independent Police Review was
assigned that task in 2001 when it was created, but apparently stopped
in 2006 because court orders only last 10 years. So in other words,
nobody outside the PPB has checked to be sure they're following state
law for 15 year.

On Friday, we sent the below email to the Auditor's office, asking them
to reconsider their decision not to look into whether Portland Police
improperly shared information on Black Lives Matter protestors last year
with the FBI (and its Joint Terrorism Task Force). We received a
response by the end of the day, which I have included below, in which
the Auditor's office says they chose not to investigate that question
because it would require compelling information from the FBI.

I have replied just now with this message:

  Ms Pape
  Understandably, if the PPB shared any documents with the FBI and then
  properly disposed of those documents, your audit will not turn up that
  information without receiving information from the FBI. However, we
  strongly urge that if your audit finds improper information having been
  collected or maintained by the PPB's Criminal Intelligence Unit AND
  those documents indicate that they were shared with the FBI (or other
  federal agencies), such information should be part of the final report.
  dan handelman
  peace and justice works/portland copwatch

I've included Ms. Pape's email address in case other people feel like
following up on this.

dan handelman
peace and justice works/portland copwatch
(Sorry for duplication with the Copwatch list)