[pjw] REPORT BACK: Snowy, short, small -- Friday rally #47 under stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Feb 13 16:02:53 EST 2021

Hello again PJW supporters

Pretty much every week in the introduction at the Friday Rally for Peace
and Justice, I note that someone has been out at or near the SW corner of
Pioneer Courthouse Square at 5 PM every Friday, rain, shine, pandemic or
no, since November 2001. Last night was no exception despite sub-freezing
weather, freezing rain and snow all over the ground. Two of us made it to
the rally, masked up and distanced.

For reasons I'll get to below, I had a cell phone with me and was able to
take these photos, first of me with my sign and then of the two of us
where you can see the snow.

http://pjw.info/images/Pio.1.jpg

http://pjw.info/images/Pio2a.jpg

Actually a third person who's often at the rallies came by before 5 PM but
decided not to stick around after less than a minute.

We did get a few honks of support but as you may imagine there wasn't a
lot of foot or motor traffic. We did not march.

At the rally here are some of the things we talked about regarding the
week's news in peace and justice issues:

--President Biden has promised to "responsibly" end the forever wars,
which is code for "we're going to leave troops and occupy at least Iraq
and Afghanistan forever, just like we still have troops in Japan and
Germany over 75 years after WW II."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-calls-for-responsible-end-to-post-9-11-wars-as-austin-hints-at-dod-budget-cuts/ar-BB1dzW2D

As noted many times in this space, the US has withdrawn its troops from
Somalia, but still has ground troops in Yemen and Syria, also attacking
all five of these countries (and occasionally Libya) using airpower.

(A little bit of info on the US special forces in Yemen is in this
article:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/explainer-us-ending-saudi-war-support-means-yemen-75703793
)

--There's also a little thing called Trump's second impeachment trial
going on here in the US. As of yesterday they hadn't decided whether to
call witnesses, today they said they would, then didn't. Too bad, I was
looking forward to Mike Pence having to take the stand. In any case, it
is, I noted, important to hold Presidents accountable for what they did
during their time in office.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/surprise-move-senate-votes-hear-witnesses-trump-s-impeachment-trial-n1257846

--About Israel/Palestine (normally raised on the march route, this time
brought up at the Square) I talked about our letter to Senators Wyden and
Merkley taking them to task for voting to support the US embassy moving to
Jerusalem.

http://www.pjw.info/israel_embassy_letter2021.html

We have not heard back yet.

For the local connection to violence used to support state policy, I
talked about the Portland Police Association's second public contract
negotiation session, which happened on Wednesday. Though there was a lot
to chew on, I focused on the officers' suggestion that the contract give a
strict 180 day timeline to misconduct investigations. If the City doesn't
finish in that time, the investigation gets dropped. The PPA seriously
stated that they believe otherwise it is unfair to the community members
to drag the investigation on so long. There is some kind of connection
between their seeking to get away with violating people's rights and
Trump's ability to "shoot someone in the middle of 5th avenue and get away
with it."

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2021/02/portland-police-contract-talks-city-wants-to-limit-overtime-union-leaders-bash-voter-approved-police-oversight-board-measure.html

Needless to say I did not bring the little green wagon of peace or the Ann
Huntwork Peace Memorial sign downtown as they would have been awkward to
get on the bus. Also on my mind: the little _red_ wagon of peace
(actually, beige with red sides) was pretty much destroyed when we used it
to drag the tower of peace down to the Hawthorne Bridge in 2017 during a
snowstorm that January.

http://pjw.info/guantanamo_15yl.html#photos

The reason I had my cell phone with me (usually I don't bring one to
rallies since police can search your cell phone if they seize it-- and can
even make you unlock it if you have a fancy smart phone which I don't:

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/oregon-supreme-court-state-can-compel-cell-phone-unlocking/
)

was that the 12th of each month prompts a vigil to remember Keaton Otis,
killed by the PPB on May 12, 2010.

https://www.facebook.com/JusticeForKeatonOtis/

Keaton's father started the vigils soon after. A few months ago the
organizers started doing a hybrid Zoom call/ live vigil and since I was
out with my signs in the snow I decided to hop on the Max and head over
there after the Friday rally ended. Here the sign is propped up against
the building where bullet holes from the PPB's violence can still be seen.

http://pjw.info/images/Ko2.jpg

Obviously my phone is not the greatest as only one of the three photos is
not blurry, but you get the idea.

Anyway, we expect next Friday's rally will be far less treacherous and we
hope to see other people there, if you feel safe under COVID doing so.

Peace

dan handelman