[pjw] ACTION: Congressional sign-on letter to close Guantanamo

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Tue Jul 13 18:11:41 EDT 2021

Hello PJW supporters

I was supposed to send out this action alert from Amnesty International
last week and got distracted. Luckily, the deadline for congresspeople to
sign the Omar/Schiff/Price letter to close Guantanamo is now this Friday,
July 16. Rep. Blumenauer has signed on, but if you are a constituent of
Schrader or Bonamici you might contact them. (Strategically they are
reaching out only to Democratic reps, so not Cliff Bentz, per their
suggestion.)

Thanks to our friends at Amnesty International Group 48 for sending this
over. Per their email:

These are the current signers: B.Lee, Doggett, Escobar, Schakowsky,
Cooper, Dingell, McGovern, Norton, DeFazio, Tlaib, Takano, Grijalva,
Pocan, Hank Johnson, Titus, Cleaver, Chuy Garcia, Connolly, Blumenauer.

dan handelman
peace and justice works

TAKE ACTION: TELL YOUR REPS TO JOIN THE OMAR/SCHIFF/PRICE GUANTÁNAMO
LETTER TO BIDEN JULY 2021

SUMMARY .

Representatives Omar, Schiff, and Price have written a letter to President
Biden calling on him to close the military detention camp at the naval
base in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba. We need to convince as many members of
Congress as possible to join this important letter before July 16! Can you
take a minute today to call, email, and tweet at your Representative?
GUANTANAMO UPDATES . President Biden pledged to close Guantanamo, but so
far he has made very little progress on this promise. He directed the
Pentagon to conduct a review of the situation, and the administration
cleared three more men for release, but he has much more work to do. He
hasn’t even staffed up the positions at the State Department that are
needed for closing down the detention center. This Congressional letter is
important because it sends a clear message to President Biden that he has
the political support he needs from the legislative branch to move forward
on this promise.

TAKE ACTION

We need to take advantage of this opportunity to Call your Representative
today! Here’s what you can do.

1) Find your Representative’s name, office phone number, and twitter
handle.

2) Call them and leave a message if they don’t pick up. Here is a sample
script:

“Hello, my name is _____ and I am a constituent from ______. I’m calling
to urge my Representative to join a letter written by Representatives
Omar, Schiff, and Price to President Biden urging him to move forward on
his promise to close the military prison at Guantanamo Bay. The detention
center at Guantanamo is a symbol of torture, indefinite detention, and
lawlessness. I urge your office to sign this letter because this issue
means a lot to me. The deadline for signing onto the letter is July 16.”

3) If the office is interested in joining the letter or if they want more
information, tell them to reach out to Ryan.Morgan at mail.house.gov (Omar)
or samantha.schifrin at mail.house.gov (Price).

4) Tweet at your Representative! Use the hashtag #CloseGuantanamo.

5) Share this with your friends and family and ask them to call their
Representative.