[pjw] REPORT BACK: Mission Accompished? Friday rally #58 under stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat May 1 16:13:01 EDT 2021

PJW supporters

In a strange confluence of events, we had a special event at last night's
Friday Rally for Peace and Justice on the same day Multnomah County
re-entered "Extreme Risk" for COVID. Four of us rallied and marched, and a
surprisingly large number of people were out and about anyway, most of
them who said anything expressing support with just one or two hecklers.
The most significant new element was that we actually had a cameraperson
from KOIN-6 news show up and conduct an interview. His questions were
straightforward and didn't seem to be asking whether we were going to
engage in property destruction. Watching the news later, I guess our
little event wasn't as important as the businesses boarding up their
windows _in anticipation_ of things happening today on May Day. The US
pledging (probably deceptively) to end the supposed longest war in our
history? Who cares.

Anyway, a lot of what we talked about at the rally you've already seen in
the publicity for last night's "Mission Accomplished?" event.

I theorized, though, that it may be that after George Bush (Jr)
prematurely declared "Mission Accomplished" on May 1, 2003 about the Iraq
war, which technically is still going on today, Barack Obama chose that
same day to say "I'll show YOU Mission Accomplished" and ordered the Navy
Seal assassination of Osama Bin Laden on that day in 2011. Then Donald
Trump, who famously was trying to erase anything Obama did, used that day
as the deadline to get troops out of Afghanistan. But Joe Biden, not
wanting to take away from the Obama "legacy" (or, as he called it,
"delivering justice"), moved that day to September 11. This last decision
makes it obvious the dates are chosen for symbolic reasons, so... you tell
me what you think.

Meanwhile, as they say, a poll shows that 73% of Americans support taking
all the troops out of Afghanistan, as the withdrawal actually began a
couple of days ago.

  https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/551040-poll-73-percent-support-us-withdrawal-from-afghanistan

The US says it may roll back most of the sanctions imposed on Iran since
Trump left the "nuclear deal" in 2018, but also wants to keep some in
place.

  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/biden-administration-eyes-major-rollback-iran-sanctions-revive-nuke-deal-n1265821

China reports that there are more US warships off its coast than under the
previous president, as Biden took time at his national address (where he
made the "delivered justice" remark) to say the US vs. China is democracy
against autocracy. We're not that far away from autocracy, so let's not
throw rocks from our glass house shall we?

  https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/us-has-ramped-up-reconnaissance-in-chinese-claimed-waters-beijing/ar-BB1gbM2D

In Yemen, the Saudis continue dropping bombs from US-made warplanes, and
while Biden said we won't support the war, apparently America is still
repairing those planes.

  https://www.vox.com/2021/4/27/22403579/biden-saudi-yemen-war-pentagon

In local news, I noted that in a nearly unprecedented move, the Oregon
Attorney General will be working on the investigation of the police
killing of Robert Delgado in Lents Park last week.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2021/04/oregon-ag-and-multnomah-county-da-expected-to-jointly-investigate-fatal-police-shooting-of-robert-delgado-in-lents-park.html

I say nearly unprecedented because the AG's office investigated a police
shooting in Klamath Falls in 2018-- and found no wrongdoing.

  https://www.klamathfallsnews.org/news/dept-of-justice-determines-no-criminal-actions-warranted-in-officer-involved-shooting

Along the march route I noted that while the Israeli elections still have
failed to produce a functioning government, the Palestinians are now
delaying their first elections since 2006. While Mahmoud Abbas says he
wants to ensure Palestinians in East Jerusalem can vote, some see it as
his trying to cling to power.

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/abbas-officially-delays-palestinian-elections-blaming-israel/

In the last stretch of the march, talking about money for human needs not
war, I noted that the City asked all Bureaus to take a 5% cut due to low
resources under COVID, but the Mayor is only proposing a 1% cut for the
Police Bureau... after a year of protests and demands to defund. We joked
that maybe he thought people were shouting "Fund the police," or that he
only heard that chant coming from the Portland Business Alliance in their
unregistered lobbying contacts.

  https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2021/04/29/33180318/whats-in-mayor-wheelers-proposed-57-billion-budget

  https://www.opb.org/article/2021/04/27/portland-business-alliance-lobbying-rules-violations/

The Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign went blank again in front of
the Gucci store on SW 4th. One day I'll work up the courage to ask them if
they have some kind of electromagnetic field protecting their expensive
wares.

As always, we welcome more folks to come down and join us, but also to
only do so if you are comfortable with traveling and being in a crowd-- of
4-6 people. As I noted earlier, if the rally gets too big we can split to
cover both sides of the street.

Thanks

dan handelman