[pjw] REPORT BACK: Drone war continues: Friday rally #80 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Oct 2 17:09:51 EDT 2021

Iraq Affinity Group supporters

We were back up to six people at last night's Friday Rally for Peace and
Justice. Once again many pedestrians and drivers expressed their support.
One woman urged us to think of doing something else other than rallying. I
tried to explain that we were engaging in public education and handed her
a flyer for next week's Afghanistan 20 years later rally
( https://pjw.info/afghanistan20yl.html ). Along the march route one
person was so glad to see a "Free Palestine" sign that they high-fived the
marcher holding it.

At the rally, here is some of what we talked about:

--The US appears to be continuing its drone war in Afghanistan; the
Taliban are complaining about breaches of Afghan airspace:

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/29/taliban-consequences-if-us-continues-to-fly-drones-in-airspace

---The US also said it won't consult the Taliban before launching strikes
in Afghanistan:

  https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2021/09/24/us-wont-be-asking-taliban-permission-to-strike-terror-groups-in-afghanistan/

---And 22 Republicans want to put sanctions on the Taliban, even though
withheld funds already threaten economic disaster for Afghanistan. The
Taliban (FWIW) note this is an extension of a war posture.

  https://tolonews.com/afghanistan-174854

--The UN has calculated that over 350,000 people have died in the civil
war in Syria since 2011; no estimate how many of those have been caused
by the US since they started bombing in 2014:

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/24/at-least-350000-people-killed-in-syria-war-new-un-count

--In a slight sign that things may be able to get better, Iraq
has continued mediating between Saudi Arabia and Iran, something they are
in a far better position to do than the US:

  https://www.barrons.com/news/rivals-iran-saudi-held-new-round-of-talks-in-iraq-01632907507

--Here in the US, Senators Durbin and Leahy wrote a letter to President
Biden calling for no drone strikes outside war zones; this is Biden's
declared policy buy it seems to be a reference to ending strikes in
Afghanistan.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-senators-call-biden-end-lethal-force-outside-war-zones

---Also, the Senate and House are working on bipartisan bills to take
back their Constitutionally granted war powers from the office of the
President:

  https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2021/09/30/mcgovern-meijer-tee-up-house-bill-clawing-back-war-powers-from-president/

--President Biden is competing with previous presidents' titles as
"deporter in chief," last week expelling as many as 14,000 Haitian
refugees. Folks probably also saw the border guards who were whipping
refugees with their horse reins.

  https://theintercept.com/2021/09/20/biden-haiti-deportations-texas-del-rio/

In local news, on Monday the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office shot and
killed a man during a traffic stop; it was the 30th deadly force incident
by law enforcement in Oregon this year. Portland Copwatch has not traced
more than 38 in a given year since tracking began in 2010.

  https://www.opb.org/article/2021/09/27/clackamas-county-deputy-shoots-kills-person-during-traffic-stop/

  https://www.portlandcopwatch.org/OR_shootings_letter0221.pdf

Along the march route I brought up the fact that Biden refused an offer by
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to talk during the UN's meeting this
past week. It's suggested that Biden didn't want to talk to them without
also talking to the Israelis, which is ridiculous given how often the US
talks to Israel alone.

  https://www.axios.com/biden-rejected-meeting-mahmoud-abbas-un-3d8cbeb8-c947-4567-b872-65d0130423c5.html

And along the final stretch I noted this opinion piece that compares the
objections to spending $3.5 trillion on human needs and infrastructure to
the promise to spend $8 trillion on the Pentagon over the next 10 years.

  https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/bloated-defense-budget-passes-easily-congress-fights-over-safety-net-n1280568

The Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign conked out underneath a security
camera at the Gucci store on SW 4th again, for the first time in a few
weeks. When we got back to the Square again at the end it turned itself
back on after about 5 minutes of rest; this has happened before but is
just... weird.

As noted above, next week is our special event marking 20 years since the
Afghan war. Kathy Kelly sent information today that folks involved in the
Ban Killer Drones movement are doing a "day of atonement" on Oct. 7 about
the drone war begun after the US invaded Afghanistan. I found this article
referencing the action:

  https://paxchristiusa.org/2021/09/29/a-day-of-atonement/

Feel free to join us next week for the special event, or any Friday at 5
PM at SW Yamhill and Broadway, if you feel up to it. Remember to mask up
and stay appropriately distanced.

thanks

dan handelman