[pjw] REPORT BACK: : Friday rally #82 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Oct 16 14:49:03 EDT 2021

Greetings supporters of Peace and Justice Works

Before I get into the report back from this week's Friday Rally for Peace
and Justice, one correction and one addition to _last_ week's report:

--there were six of us at the rally, not five... not sure why I made that
mistake

--along the march route we were joined for a full block by a man with a
tiny, Chihuahua sized dog; he kept insisting that the dog should pull the
little green wagon of Peace for a media photo opportunity. However (a)
there were no media there and (b) the wagon weighs 45 lbs and likely the
picture would be the dog strangling itself trying to drag the whole thing.

Anyway, this week only four of us were at the Rally but we still attracted
a lot of thumbs ups, peace signs and other encouragement from the people
walking and driving by. Even though it was a pleasant 64 degree day with
no wind or rain it seemed there were fewer people downtown than normal.

One man stopped us along the march route to talk to us about the war in
the Congo where everything is motivated by the desire for materials that
are used to make cell phones. He told us protesting was no good and we
need to lobby. I said we also need to educate.

On that note, here's a Guardian article on the subject:

  https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/oct/12/phone-misery-children-congo-cobalt-mines-drc

Here's what we talked about at the rally:

--Secretary of State Blinken went from saying that "there are other
options" if Iran doesn't hold to the nuclear agreement to saying that "all
options are open," which is diplo-speak for "we can start a war":

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/backing-every-option-against-iran-blinken-appears-to-nod-at-military-action/

--In Iraq, some of the militias challenged the election of their new
Parliament even though Moqtada al-Sadr, and anti-us cleric and leader of
his own militia, won the most seats:

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/iraq-elections-shia-parties-reject-results-militia-threatens-violence

In Afghanistan, the Taliban has told the United States they don't
need their "help" (see: Iraq and Syria) against the Islamic State:

  https://thehill.com/policy/international/576050-taliban-says-it-wont-work-with-us-to-contain-extremism-in-afghanistan

---also, the Portland Tribune's September 29 editorial claimed this is
the first time since 9-11 young people can experience a time without
the US being at war. There's not a link to this piece I can find, but we
sent in a heavily cut down version of our fact sheet about how the Afghan
war is not over as an op-ed. I'll keep you posted if it runs.

--In Syria, Israel continues to fire missiles with no consequences:

  https://www.ynetnews.com/article/bk2eonavy

In local news, Portland Copwatch analyzed the latest Police Review Board
report (yes, BEFORE the Portland Mercury put out their own article but
didn't acknowledge PCW's breaking the news) in which it was revealed that
the Chief found two of three officers out of policy for protest violence
that the Board deemed OK. The first two fired "less lethal" rounds at
protestors not engaged in "active aggression," and the Chief over-rode the
Board to give those cops each a Letter of Reprimand. The third officer
pulled down a person's gas mask to apply pepper spray. The Board said even
though that's not in the training, it was the best way to make sure the
pepper spray worked-- ignoring that we're in the midst of a
respiratory-based pandemic. The Chief agreed to exonerate the officer.

  https://www.portlandcopwatch.org/PRBanalysis0921.html

Along the route we picked up an extra person at the corner where we talk
about Israel/Palestine issues-- albeit he was from out of town and needed
to find his way back to Pioneer Courthouse Square, he did chime in
agreeing with things being said.

The news I shared at that corner was that the US is planning to re-open
its consulate for Palestinians in Jerusalem over the objection of the
Israeli government. I'm not sure how that gets worked out from a legal
standpoint but it seems to be a signal of weakening Trump's mistake of
shuttering the consulate and opening an embassy.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-palestine-us-move-forward-plan-reopen-jerusalem-consulate

In the final stretch, I noted that an article by Norman Solomon (cofounder
of Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting and Roots Action) in Salon says that
overseas military bases cost $55 billion a year. (Our new friend said
"that's way too much!!!").

  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/can-we-stop-calling-our-humongous-military-spending-the-defense-budget/ar-AAPn41T

Even though I tried pulling the wagon far away from the building (rather
than next to it, which used to work), the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign
went out again next to the Pioneer Place Mall's Gucci store along SW 4th
Ave. It popped back on again at the Square. Evil spirits.

At the beginning and end of the march I also announced that the November 5
rally (just under 3 weeks from now) will mark..... twenty years of the
Friday Rally in or about the same location. Hoping we can get some
longtime friends of the Rally to join us for the anniversary.

  https://www.pjw.info/FridayRally20yl.pdf

Stay safe, work for peace, let's keep educating the public!