[pjw] REPORT BACK: Over the Horizon: Friday rally #76 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Sep 4 16:01:18 EDT 2021

Iraq Affinity Group supporters

We fared better last night with a contingent of six people rallying at
Pioneer Courthouse Square and marching all the way back. Two of the
participants were the person who injured their head last week ("the
doctors took a picture of my head and didn't find anything"-- but got six
stitches), and the one who was being abundantly cautious. We once again
had a lot of support-- and notably a continuation of the peace signs being
flashed at us from cars. I deliberately carried the sign calling for an
end to the war in Afghanistan to prompt people to say "didn't we just get
out of there?" so I could talk about the ongoing warfare we can expect
(more in the headlines). One person also asked that question about another
sign calling for the US to get out of Iraq, where of course America still
has 2500 "advisors" occupying the nation.

Here are some of the headlines we talked about at the Rally for Peace and
Justice:

--Since last week's rally, the US bombed Afghanistan twice including
killing 10 civilians.

  https://apnews.com/article/islamic-state-group-9a403031191ba5ee7927f75e047d7eb7

---While President Biden announced the war's end on Tuesday, he also
emphasized the "over the horizon" capability to continue bombing, and
repeated his catchphrase about hunting people down and making them pay:

  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/biden-says-the-war-in-afghanistan-is-over-but-it-s-really-just-starting-a-new-chapter/ar-AANZvw2

--For a little bit of hope, Biden also ordered the government to
declassify most of the documents about 9/11 even if they embarrass a
person, group or country; there will still be ones withheld for "national
security."

  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-orders-declassification-sept-11-investigation-documents-n1278487

--In Syria, Israel once again lobbed missiles into the country with no
consequences, both in the sense that no people were hurt but also that
nobody in the world seems to be holding them accountable for these
attacks.

  https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/syrian-air-defenses-confront-hostile-missiles-sky-damascus-2021-09-02/

--The US continued its provocative efforts against China by, for the
eighth time this year, sending a warship through the Taiwan Strait:

  https://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/News/Display/Article/2752472/us-navy-coast-guard-transit-taiwan-strait/

--In Iraq, it's reported that China sent medical supplies to help as the
country of 30 million people has reported about 2 million COVID cases:

  http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202109/03/WS61317ab7a310efa1bd66d18d.html

In local(-ish) news, the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office shot and wounded
a man, making this the 27th deadly force incident in Oregon in just over
eight months-- the average number for an entire year.

  https://www.thenewsguard.com/news_free/lincoln-county-sheriffs-office---deputy-involved-shooting/article_c7310256-0b65-11ec-bb35-233e5e02b8c0.html

Also, a woman who was seriously injured by a flash-bang at a protest in
August 2018 (anti-fascists vs. neo-fascists) will receive a $50,000
settlement this coming Wednesday at City Council.

  https://www.portland.gov/council/documents/ordinance/settlement-michelle-fawcett-bodily-injury-lawsuit-50000

Along the route I relayed that in addition to the Israeli military
crackdown on protestors _last week_, during _this week_ they wounded 18
more people.

  https://www.palestinechronicle.com/israeli-forces-injure-18-palestinians-in-crackdown-on-gaza-protests/

And in the final stretch, talking about money for human needs not war, I
repeated some figures from the National Priorities Project about the War
on Terror: namely, that between wars and the security state, the US has
spent $21 trillion which could among other things retrofit our energy grid
AND provide COVID vaccines for everyone on earth (if need be).

  https://ips-dc.org/report-state-of-insecurity-cost-militarization-since-9-11/

Once again the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial froze up in front of
the Gucci store, but this time it said "Justice 4" (from the message about
police killings), and lasted another block and went out fully in that
block between 4th/5th on Yamhill where the evil spirits live.

I reminded everyone about next week's rally, which is starting early at
4:30 PM to remember 9/11 20 years later.

"9/11: Twenty Years of War, Stoking Fear,
Erasing Rights and Misdirected Funding"

  http://www.pjw.info//911_20yl.html

I'll send out one more reminder this week before that special expanded
Friday Rally for Peace and Justice.

As always we welcome folks who feel safe and are willing to stay safe
(with masks and distancing) to join us at SW Yamhill and Broadway any
Friday.

thanks

dan handelman