[pjw] REPORT BACK: Your Tax Dollars: Friday rally #108 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Apr 16 17:34:28 EDT 2022

Hello again peaceful people

Last week, we had a rally of four and a march of five people; this week,
six people were at the rally but only five went on the march. We had three
people out who were not feeling well and we wish them all the best and
hope to see them soon.

As I noted in my opening "housekeeping" remarks, the mask mandate on
transit has been extended again until May 3.

https://www.transit.dot.gov/TransitMaskUp

So we continue to ask people to attend masked up and distanced at least
until then; PJW will assess the risk factors whenever the mandate is
lifted.

The "Honk if you hate war, war profits and empire" sign brought a lot of
understand that is about the United States (as well as other imperialist
nations). Once again we had decent weather-- so that's fifteen weeks with
only a light drizzle on one of our rallies.

Here are some of the headlines from this week:

--Monday is Tax Day, and the War Resisters League says that the $978
billion spent on the military is down to representing just 37% of the
budget, but it's still too high. You can't download their fact sheet but
you can see images of it and read the text here:

  https://www.warresisters.org/just-time-tax-season-its-wrls-famous-pie-chart-where-your-income-tax-money-really-goes

--The US has approved $800 million more in military weapons going to
Ukraine:

  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/biden-approves-800m-in-artillery-helicopters-for-ukraine/ar-AAWbTiW?ocid=EMMX&cvid=28964c81defb44c29fa751b41b1555ea

---which Russia rightfully calls adding fuel to the fire.

  https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/04/14/russia-warns-us-stop-arming-ukraine/

---Also adding to that fire, several northern European countries unlikely
to be attacked by Russia are now scrambling to join NATO, part of what led
to the current situation in the first place.

  https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/finland-sweden-move-ahead-nato-membership-84057499

--In Iraq, the US (which has been SOOOO helpful in stabilizing that
country) is pressuring them to form a government.

  https://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/140420221

--As with just about everything Israel's doing these days (see below) the
world sits silent as they launched another attack in Syria this week.

  https://gulfnews.com/world/mena/israeli-air-strikes-hit-near-syrias-capital-damascus-1.1649981049908

--But here is some good news: This was the first week since 2015 that
there have been no reported airstrikes in Yemen. Maybe the cease fire will
lead to peace?

  https://news.antiwar.com/2022/04/11/ceasefire-holds-yemen-has-first-week-without-airstrikes-since-2015/

In local news, I brought an update about the Clean and Safe contract
that's been kicked around at City Council for the last month. On
Wednesday, the Council went ahead and approved the plan to let the
Portland Business Alliance pay for four police officers for two more years
before switching the funding to taxpayers. Commissioner Carmen Rubio
successfully added an amendment to reduce the weaning off process from the
following 2 years (2024-26) to just one year (2024-25).

  https://www.portland.gov/council/agenda/2022/4/13

(item #264)

Along the march route, I relayed the news that Israel killed four more
Palestinians in the West Bank in a 24 hour period, including a teen. And
with everyone focused on Ukraine, the escalation in the West Bank seems
off most people's radars.

  https://mondoweiss.net/2022/04/israel-kills-four-palestinians-including-one-child-in-span-of-24-hours/

As we headed back to the Square, I gave a little more detail about where
our tax money is going according to WRL: The $978 Billion includes $730
billion in pentagon money plus veterans benefits and 80% of the national
debt, which they call past war spending. The good news is that the slice
of the budget for human needs is finally up to 50%-- but that's still not
enough, with war profiteers salivating since those weapons for Europe have
to come from somewhere.

  https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/no-matter-who-wins-russia-ukraine-war-wests-arms-suppliers-are-already-a-winner/ar-AAWeGhP

I have no news about the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign this week
because a new technical glitch took place: The generator that powers it
had a reading of 43% after last week's rally, but when I went to turn it
on last night it was at ZERO. I've never seen that before and don't know
why it happened, but it goes along with a larger trend of things at PJW
breaking down due to possible gremlin infestation. For instance, the ramp
leading up to our front door rotted out so badly that my foot went through
it as I was loading the car for the rally. *Sigh.*

I re-announced the Col. Ann Wright livestream event we're planning for
Monday June 20; I didn't get to the publicity this week due to work on the
Copwatch newsletter but hope to have it ready next week.

The new person who joined the march last week did not show up yesterday, I
hope we didn't scare him off. We welcome folks to "come on down" and be
part of our weekly presence for peace, coming up on its 20 and a half year
anniversary next month.

thanks