[pjw] RSVP/ PJW UPDATE: Our December newsletter & Feb. 13 annual meeting

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Tue Jan 4 17:26:51 EST 2022

Hello again PJW supporters

Below is the text of the December 27 PJW UPDATE, our twice-a-year
newsletter that many of you should have received via snail mail late last
week.

Our annual meeting is being held next month on Sunday, February 13. I will
send a reminder out closer to the day-of, but if you already know you can
make it please let me know.

There's also info here on Friday's rally about Guantanamo, 20 years later.

People in our project groups, general PJW members/supporters and the board
use these "quarterly" meetings to keep up to date. At the annual meeting,
we also elect the board and officers. The meeting starts with an informal
discussion at noon with a meeting from 12:30-2:15 PM.

You can find the laid out version online
  http://www.pjw.info/supporters/pjwupdate0122.pdf .

It has been password protected with the phrase
NoMoreWar!
(note the capital letters, no spaces).

Thanks!

dan handelman
secretary
peace and justice works

PEACE AND JUSTICE WORKS UPDATE
December 27, 2021

Dear Peace and Justice Works members, volunteers, and supporters:

PEACE AND JUSTICE WORKS' 30th ANNUAL MEETING
Sunday, February 13, 2022
12 noon (conversation); 12:30 PM (meeting)
*Conference call- contact us for info*

Please join Peace and Justice Works for our 30th annual meeting on Sunday,
February 13. Though we're hoping to meet in person soon, our meeting will
be held by conference call-- contact us to get login info. We'll begin
with casual conversation at 12 noon, followed by the business meeting from
12:30-2:15 PM.

The proposed agenda includes:

--updates on 2021/2022 activities from Affinity Groups (Iraq, Copwatch,
other);

--discussion on absorbing an established organization as a new Affinity
Group;

--election of board of directors and officers*

(Nominees: Shelley Bedell, President/Authorized Check Signer [ACS]; Dan
Handelman, Secretary/ACS; Linda Tomassi, ACS; Jocelyn McAuley, ACS; and
Alice Mott);

--financial report, office updates, volunteer outreach.

General meetings are good places to learn about the group and find out how
to plug in.

* To vote: If you got this in the mail and the mailing sticker says "PM" or "VM"
  (paid/volunteer member) and the date is 1/22 or earlier, you need to
  renew your membership. If you only received it by email, ask us about
  your membership status.

Iraq Affinity Group: Marking Guantanamo & Other 20 Year Milestones

PJW's Iraq Affinity Group (IAG) has continued using the weekly Friday
Rally for Peace and Justice to meet our goals of educating the public on
the effects of US war policy. In September, we recognized 20 years since
the events of 9/11/2001. In early October, we held a rally saying "20
Years of the War in Afghanistan: It's Not Really Over," pointing out the
US plan to continue bombing that country from "over the horizon" despite
the troop withdrawal in August. The first week of November was 20 years
since Portland Peaceful Response Coalition started the weekly event. And,
upcoming on January 7, an expanded rally (starting at 4:30 rather than 5
PM) will declare: "20 Years Into the 'War On Terror,' It's Way Past Time
to Close Guantanamo." Like every Friday, it will be at Pioneer Courthouse
Square, SW Yamhill & Broadway. We ask people to wear a face covering and
stay a safe distance apart-- and only come if you feel safe doing so.

The IAG cosponsored the virtual Physicians for Social Responsibility
Hiroshima Day event in August and marched from the Friday rally to the
waterfront to show support. We continue to augment the outdoor events with
the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign, a digital readerboard carrying
messages against US militarism/occupations and police brutality.

Working with allies around the state, the IAG also sent a letter to
Governor Kate Brown in November, urging that she consider stopping any
future deployments of the National Guard to undeclared war zones, now that
the Afghan war is supposed to be over. Join the Group on the 2nd Tuesday
of each month at 7 PM for our meetings (3rd Tuesday when the month starts
on the 1st).

Portland Copwatch Gets Council Input Restored, Attends Advisory Groups

Our police accountability affinity group Portland Copwatch (PCW) won a
minor but important victory when, joined by people from four other
organizations, we convinced Mayor Ted Wheeler to reverse a four-year-long
ban on public testimony when Council hears Reports. This will open up the
late January annual report on the Police Bureau's cooperation with the
FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force to community input.

PCW also continues to monitor/give input to advisory groups such as the
Training Advisory Council, Portland Committee on Community-Engaged
Policing, and the Citizen Review Committee, which hears appeals of
misconduct cases. The CRC is under the umbrella of the "Independent"
Police Review (IPR), the civilian oversight body that does intake and some
investigation into complaints. IPR will get replaced sometime in 2023 or
2024 after a new Police Accountability Commission completes its work
designing the system put into the City's Charter by a 2020 ballot
initiative. PCW member Dan Handelman is a member of the Commission.

To the extent possible, Copwatch also is keeping tabs on the negotiations
with the Portland Police Association (PPA), which began in January 2021
and went behind closed doors in June. A big issue is the US Department of
Justice (DOJ)'s requirement for Portland to get body-worn cameras. The PPA
wants instant access to the footage, but PCW and others say that at least
in force/deadly force cases they should not view footage until after their
City, now over nine years old, is being revised due to use of force and
other violations during 2020's racial justice protests.

The Portland Police shot eight people in 2021, the largest number in 16
years, killing four of them. At least 34 deadly force incidents in Oregon
put 2021 close to the record high, as we note in reports to the Attorney
General. PCW updated its web page infographic showing officers involved in
deadly force and the top 25 settlements. We continue to run our incident
report line (503-321-5120) to help people resolve complaints, and publish
our 3x/year newsletter, the People's Police Report-- see
https://www.portlandcopwatch.org .

Thirty Years Pushing for Peace-- Let's Keep Working Together!

As of March, Peace and Justice Works will have been connecting the issues
of war, police violence and the death penalty for 30 years. There are
challenges now as the US "pivots" its military machine to focus on China
and Russia, the environment continues to be degraded, and other human
needs are not met due to overspending on war.

The ongoing challenge of COVID has made it difficult to do much of our
face-to-face organizing, but using virtual meetings and live gatherings
each Friday, we manage to keep getting the word out that violence is not
the answer to the world's problems.

We recognize that many people are experiencing financial hardship due to
the impact of the pandemic. If you are able to donate to help our
all-volunteer organization keep offering alternative ideas to violent
state actions, please do. Make a general donation or request an annual
membership ($20-45 sliding scale or 4 hours volunteering). Checks or money
orders (and/ or items from our wish list -
https://www.portlandcopwatch.org/wishlist.html ) can be sent to PO Box
42456, Portland 97242. If you received this by snail mail, your mailing
label should show the date of your last donation as "LD." You can also
make one-time or recurring donations online through Network for Good via
the Donate tab at https://www.pjw.info .

It has been great to have people continue to volunteer by putting out
mailings, helping in the office, being part of events and donating funds
in the nearly two years of COVID. Thanks to all and let's continue making
the planet a better place to live.