[pjw] REPORT BACK: No War on Russia!: Friday rally #97 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Jan 29 16:04:29 EST 2022

Iraq Affinity Group supporters

With the growing tensions over the Russia/Ukraine situation, one of our
rally-goers made a few "No War on Russia" signs for last week's rally; we
were even more glad to have them this week. The five of us attending the
event, masked up and distanced, received a lot of thumbs ups. I was
expected some backlash, maybe even an anti-communist slur or something
(from someone not knowing Russia's not a communist country) but it seems
most people actually agree not to have a new war. We had the fourth week
without rain, and the second in a row with patrons outside the Rialto Bar
(definitely not the same people this week) cheering us on.

You can probably guess one of the topics from the rally, but here's a
summary:

--The Ukrainian President told the west to stop scaremongering, as it's
causing him unnecessary problems inside his country.

  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60174684

---Meanwhile, the US put 8500 troops on alert, to confront the alleged
100,000+ Russian troops.

  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/defense-secretary-presents-biden-options-us-response-russia-rcna13240

--On the brighter side, the White House says they think they're close to
agreement on the nuclear deal with Iran, though they're still hinting that
there's some kind of deadline looming.

  https://www.axios.com/iran-nuclear-deal-ballpark-mcgurk-2a19d144-932f-4c9b-b877-c17a1c219c9a.html

--Russia has expanded its patrols of Syrian skies into the area around the
Golan Heights, which appears to be prompting Israel to back off of those
airstrikes we keep noting are going on without consequences:

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-said-holding-talks-with-russia-over-syria-standoff-may-limit-air-campaign/

--The US and Europe met with Taliban representatives and pushed them on
human rights but also pledged to get more humanitarian aid into
Afghanistan. No update on the US releasing Afghanistan's $9 billion from
American banks.

  https://tolonews.com/afghanistan-176489

--In Iraq, their battle against the Islamic State is now being described
as more of a law enforcement issue than a military effort. Hmm, wonder
what would have happened in an alternate timeline if the US had taken that
approach after 9/11.

  https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-looks-away-iraq-elite-232700299.html

In local news, I talked about how the Mayor is trying to push the City to
spend $2.6 million to buy body cameras and hire six police personnel to
manage the footage. The Mayor claimed the upcoming vote (on Feb 9, so you
still have time to comment if you want) is about the hardware, not the
policies. But if they already decided police get to manage the footage,
that IS setting policy.

Here's some history on the issue, my report above came from my testimony
to Council on Wednesday.

  https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2022/01/26/38073459/a-short-history-of-portlands-long-road-to-police-body-cameras

Along the march route, I told the shocking (?) story about a Palestinian
man who died from inhaling tear gas after Israelis raided a refugee camp.
Shocking in some ways, just another day of occupation in others.

  https://english.alaraby.co.uk/news/palestinian-dies-after-inhaling-tear-gas-during-israeli-raid

As we came to the end of the march, I talked about how many people do not
want to see war with Russia, except for a few people-- weapons makers.
This article says they were sharing emails about how they can profit if a
war breaks out. Money that should go to human needs instead.

  https://www.rt.com/russia/547669-usa-arms-manufacturers-big-profits/

And, well, the gremlins are back, as the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign
conked out right in front of the Gucci store again after a few hopeful
efforts in the past couple of weeks.

If you feel up to it, please join us some Friday evening at 5 PM at SW
Yamhill and Broadway, we're still there every week... since November 2001!

thanks