[pjw] REPORT BACK: Wheels coming off: Friday rally #119 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Jul 2 18:00:43 EDT 2022

Hello again Iraq Affinity Group supporters.

I think it's fitting for us to keep doing our work while remembering our
friend Yvonne. So, below is the report back on last night's Friday
Rally for Peace and Justice.

In the tribute email, I neglected to include this link to a photo of
Yvonne at a huge peace march we put on in 2004 against the wars in Iraq
and Afghanistan.

  https://www.panix.com/~pjw/test/yvonne_at_rally.html

Now, about last night... There were seven of us there, masked up and
distanced. We received a good smattering of honking horns and supportive
gestures. The closest to a heckler was someone who wished ill of Vladimir
Putin but stopped and talked for a bit. The weather was cooperative and
though a bit hot, quite nice.

I've titled this week's report "wheels coming off" in honor of one of the
attorneys from the US Department of Justice, who used that term to
describe how a community board set up in 2018 was starting to fall apart
exactly at the same time they were recognized by a federal judge. This
seems to be the theme all around the globe. (More on the DOJ below.)

Here's what we talked about at this week's rally:

--The Supreme Court continues to dismantle much of American civil society, most
recently saying that the Environmental Protection Agency can't protect the
environment.

  https://apnews.com/article/supreme-court-epa-ruling-2e893673819a1b6c6aa272a5e814f0b0

--And the January 6 committee continues to find out things that happened in and
around the White House leading up to and after the marauders invaded the
Capitol including ties to white supremacist groups.

  https://www.npr.org/2022/06/30/1108913337/did-the-trump-camp-help-far-right-militia-groups-plan-the-jan-6-attack

--While President Biden has ruled out putting US troops on the ground in
Ukraine, apparently that doesn't extend to the CIA, which has agents there
providing intelligence.

  https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/25/us/politics/commandos-russia-ukraine.html

--In somewhat related news, rather than express concern about how expanding
NATO will continue to provoke Russia, Turkey has agreed that Finland and Sweden
can join, so long as those countries extradite 33 Kurdish independence
advocates.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkey-nato-sweden-finland-memorandum-seek-extraditions

--In a mildly humanitarian gesture, the US has agreed to give $55 million to
Afghanistan to help with the earthquake that killed over 1000 people there. No
mention of releasing the $7 billion the US continues to hold (or the other $7
billion they pledged to 9/11 families).

  https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/272606343/us-taliban-agree-to-continue-talks

--New talks going on for the last two weeks to revive the Iranian nuclear deal
have unfortunately gone nowhere.

  https://www.axios.com/2022/06/29/iran-nuclear-deal-talks-no-progress-qatar

--Another small bit of good news... nobody else seems to be in the position to
bring together the countries fighting a proxy war in Yemen, so Iraq is
facilitating dialogue between the Saudis and Iran.

  https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/iraqi-pm-head-saudi-arabia-iran-dialogue-85692916

--The US has killed a supposed "Al Qaeda leader" in Syria using some kind of
strike (drone? it's not clear). But the US still has no Congressional or UN
mandate to be in Syria.

  https://www.stripes.com/theaters/middle_east/2022-06-27/al-qaeda-leader-syria-killed-6479550.html

--American officials headed to Venezuela to rebuild ties, as the Ukraine war
continues to disrupt the world's oil supply. I'm sure Venezuela having one of
the world's largest oil reserves has nothing to do with it.

  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-says-venezuela-visit-focused-on-americans-welfare/ar-AAZ0Sq3

In local news, the US DOJ has declared that the City is even more out of
compliance with the 2012 Settlement Agreement than it was in 2020 when the
violent response to protests undid years of work. They cited the failings of
the Portland Committee on Community Engaged Policing and the Behavioral Health
Unit's Advisory Committee among their critiques of the 6 of 7 areas that failed
to pass muster.

  https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2022/06/30/43717961/portland-remains-out-of-compliance-with-doj-settlement

Along the march route, I reminded folks that Ben and Jerry's had caused
controversy by refusing to sell ice cream in the occupied territories where
illegal Israeli settlements were established. The company that bought them out
sold rights to another party who is selling their products now, over their
objections.

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/ben-jerrys-israel-parent-company-unilever-reach-deal-to-end-settlement-boycott/

And as we headed back to the Square I noted that General Dynamics is receiving
$1 billion to build new tanks, I guess for the ground war the United States is
expecting to conduct? Wouldn't want to use that money to, say, help the
environment, housing or healthcare.

  https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/06/29/general-dynamics-us-tanks/

The Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign made it halfway up the block past the
Gucci store but went out as we got to the next storefront at Pioneer Place
Mall. On and on the interference goes. It did flash back on after a few minutes
at the very end when we were wrapping up.

Just before that happened, I reminded people they can watch the video of the
Ann Wright event on our youtube page. It's up to 27 views now, 9 more than a
week ago.

  https://www.youtube.com/peaceandjusticeworks

As Multnomah County has become one of the 24 in Oregon now at high risk of
COVID infections, we continue to urge folks to join us only if you feel
comfortable doing so. As noted above, we're still wearing masks and staying 6
feet (or so) apart.

Next week we will shout "Yvonne Simmons-- presente!!!!"

peace