[pjw] REPORT BACK: Honoring veterans!?: Friday rally #123 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Jul 30 16:05:20 EDT 2022

Hello again Iraq Affinity Group supporters

Last night in the 90 degree-plus heat, seven of us gathered for the Friday
Rally for Peace and Justice. One was a special guest, a person I
previously described knowing virtually but meeting in person for the first
time at another rally just a month ago. We stayed masked up and distanced,
and decided to march since most of the route is in the shade. Our guest
and one other marcher peeled off at about the 1/3 and 2/3 points of the
march, but the remaining five wrapped things up.

We had a lot of appreciative responses. A woman (perhaps the same one from
last week?) put her hand to her heart for us. A man said he supported us
and noted how many things are going on. Several people took flyers for the
Hiroshima day event on August 8. One man stopped to talk about a sign we
have for Julian Assange-- and was up to date about the Mexican president
offering asylum (as mentioned last week). Horns honked, people waved.

Speaking of the Hiroshima/Nagasaki memorial, I put 11x17 enlargements on
the wagon based on this 8.5x11 flyer I created using Oregon PSR's graphic
design work (integrating the cosponsors' names):

  https://pjw.info/Hiroshima_and_Nagasaki_2022.pdf

I started the talk by remembering our friend Rico Vicino. I relayed the
story I sent out about his sense of humor (the "offal orifice" toilet dunk
tank) and his related sense of nonviolence (feeling that dunking a
likeness of GHW Bush was not peaceful). We miss you Rico!

What happened in the news this week? Here's some of the headlines we
talked about:

--In Iraq, protestors swarmed the Parliament building and staged a
nonviolent sit-in. HEY CAPITAL INSURGENTS maybe you could learn a
thing or two from the Iraqis. They were protesting the nomination of
pro-Iranian Mohammad al Sudani as Prime Minister.

  https://english.aawsat.com/home/article/3783281/sadr-followers-enter-iraqi-parliament-show-force

---Also, the UN Security Council condemned the artillery shelling of the
Iraqi resort we talked about last week, but was careful not to mention the
likely culprit, Turkey, in the statement. They're in the club of no
consequences. (No, that's not a "Turkey club" joke though I'm tempted.)

  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/at-un-iraq-and-turkey-escalate-dispute-over-deadly-attack/ar-AAZZWpB?li=BBnbfcL

--The US is demanding Afghans replace the Taliban-linked heads of
their national bank in order to receive the nearly $10 billion of
money America is holding... that belongs to Afghanistan. Reminder: some of
the Afghans' money is being set aside for 9/11 victims.

  https://thecradle.co/Article/News/13527

--The National Guard may expand its presence in the Pacific because of
China's so-called "aggression"; it seems that the US flying planes and
sending warships close to China isn't enough "aggression" from our side,
let's send troops into an undeclared war zone. We will raise concerns
about this with Oregon's gubernatorial candidates.

  https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2022/07/national-guard-considering-major-expansion-indo-pacific/374892/

--Two American "volunteer soldiers" were killed in Ukraine; it's not clear
if they are actually from the US military. Regardless, the fact that
Americans are drawn to be part of this conflict which was provoked by
US/NATO expansion shows how deep the propaganda runs.

  https://www.axios.com/2022/07/24/american-soldiers-killed-ukraine-identified

In local news, the Portland Police were involved in THREE shootings
between Sunday and Wednesday. Prior to that they had been involved in
three shootings all year; the numbers' now at six, nearly as many by the
end of July as in all of 2021 (which was eight). The first victim was a 19
year old young man who was shot multiple times as point blank range by one
officer after another apparently had disarmed the suspect. The second's
name may not be known because they drove away and the officer's bullet(s?)
apparently did not strike them. The third person was also killed, their
name hasn't been released yet and neither has the officer's. PPB is
supposed to release the name in 24 hours, but claims that the officers in
the FIRST TWO shootings are being threatened by "doxxing" (having personal
info looked up on line). But the policy says there has to be a threat
against the officer in question... so they're not following the policy.

  https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/656780
  (section 9.8)
  https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2022/07/portland-police-withhold-name-of-officer-who-fatally-shot-a-man-citing-doxing-concerns.html

As noted many times before, police violence is the same as military
violence-- enforcing state policies using force.

Along the march route I noted that a UN special coordinator says Israeli
settlements threaten a viable solution for Palestinians, urging that
action be taken to ensure they can have an autonomous state.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-palestine-two-state-solution-deteriorate-further-un

As we came back toward the Square, to the best of my ability I updated
folks about the Defense spending bill. The Senate took the House's
proposal and stripped the funding of health care for veterans exposed to
toxic burn pits (that we mentioned recently as a quasi-positive step
despite not giving reparations to those in the countries where US wars
exposed civilians to the same toxins). The Senate Democrats are still
proposing a bill worth $31 billion more than the House. Where'd the money
go that was for the veterans' health? Where's the money for human needs?

  https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2022/07/28/nearly-9-boost-for-defense-spending-next-year-under-new-senate-plan/

The Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign made it all the way around the corner
of Pioneer Place Mall this week, but went out across from the Apple Store.
I had some success last time that happened by running past the weird
junction boxes on the sidewalk, but that didn't work this time.

As always, we welcome people in reasonably small numbers to join us any
Friday at 5 at SW Yamhill and Morrison.

peace