[pjw] REPORT BACK: More guns, more war: Friday rally #114 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat May 28 15:17:59 EDT 2022

Hello again Iraq Affinity Group supporters

I started out this week's rally talking about the two year anniversary of
the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police and the
tragic mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, noting that people learn that
violence is the way to solve problems because that is how our government
solves problems.

Five of us got quite drenched when sheets of rain passed over Pioneer
Courthouse Square last night right about 5 PM. Thankfully the rain let up
during the rally and then for the march. One person walking by across the
street yelled "I like your sign!!" (Not sure which one they were referring
to, but always nice to hear.) We had other people give us thumbs-ups and
honking horns despite the rainy weather.

So, what else did we talk about?

--The US General nominated to lead NATO wants to use military force to
help export Ukrainian wheat. What could possibly go wrong directly
confronting Russia militarily.

  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russias-grain-blockade-may-require-us-intervention-general-suggests/ar-AAXLF8r?ocid=uxbndlbing

---Ukraine's government is calling the idea of peace with land
concessions "appeasing" Russia akin to what happened with Nazi Germany,
but this falls into the false narrative that Russia is seeking to take
over vast parts of eastern Europe.

  https://news.yahoo.com/russian-official-calls-italian-peace-123323210.html

--Israel is denying the leaked information that they were responsible for
the assassination of an Iranian colonel last Sunday, seeming more angry at
the leak than that people seem to feel it's ok to go about killing.

  https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-leak-fingering-israel-in-iranian-colonels-death-could-harm-trust-official-warns/

--While our group is supportive of the Iraqi people, their government
sometimes makes bad decisions, such as a recent vote in Parliament
criminalizing any "normalization" with Israel, with a possibllity of the
death penalty. It's one thing if they want to criticize the UAE, Morocco,
Sudan and Bahrain for turning their backs on the Palesinian cause but this
is not helpful.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/iraq-parliament-unanimously-approves-law-criminalising-normalisation-israel

--China ran military drills near Taiwan to counter the US asserting it
will defend the territory militarily.

  https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/25/world/asia/china-taiwan-military-drills.html

--Despite the truce holding, a Saudi spy drone crashed, killing three
people in Yemen.

  https://english.news.cn/20220524/8958c4f58d1d473095eeb5990564b796/c.html

In local news, this Wednesday the City is poised to spend $75,000 to
settle a claim for a woman who was arrested for twerking "in the street"
during a 2020 protest.

  https://www.portland.gov/council/documents/ordinance/settlement-alonna-mitsch-personal-injury-lawsuit-75000
  https://www.koin.com/news/woman-snapped-twerking-at-ppb-during-protest-sues-for-false-arrest/

They're also set to approve a $25,000 bonus to attract officers from other
Oregon agencies, without requiring them to remain employed with the
Portland Police for any length of time.

  https://www.portland.gov/council/documents/ordinance/449-police-hiring-bonus-initiative

Along the march route I noted that once in a while, Israeli courts get it
right: an appeals court recognized that the government can't allow Jewish
prayers at the Al Aqsa mosque, perhaps because international law doesn't
let an occupying nation make permanent changes to the land it occupies.
(Wonder when they'll declare the settlements illegal.)

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israeli-court-rules-against-allowing-jewish-prayer-al-aqsa-compound

And as we headed back to the Square I noted that the Aerospace Industry
Association (this is a real thing) is lobbying Congress to increast the
$813 billion miltiary budget because of inflation. BOO HOO. No more money
for war profiteers please!!!

  https://www.defensenews.com/congress/2022/05/26/defense-firms-push-congress-for-pentagon-budget-increase-over-inflation/

It's almost not worth reporting that the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial
Sign stopped working again in front of the Gucci store and then turned on
again after we had returned to the Square.

I reminded people again about the Ann Wright livestream event on Monday
June 20, which as noted in an earlier email will now be hosted by Jenka
Soderberg.

  https://pjw.info/ann_wright_livestream062022.html

thanks