[pjw] INFO: This Friday (and Saturday) in Portland, no to war!

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Wed Oct 12 20:53:54 EDT 2022

Hi folks
The media is abuzz with the fact that President Biden will be in Portland
Friday night for some kind of Democratic Party gathering followed by a
Tina Kotek support event and a speech on Saturday.

Many years ago the White House stopped saying exactly where the
President's stops will be, so at this point we're just going ahead with
our Friday rally as usual. However we'll have a few signs against nuclear
war, given how the President seems to keep poking at Russia's threats to
use nukes in Ukraine rather than finding a way to de-escalate. It's been
pointed out that it's 60 years since the Cuban missile crisis, we don't
need a new brink-of-armageddon scenario!

Massachusetts Peace Action called for people to pay attention to
H. Res. 1185, Embracing the goals and provisions of the Treaty on the
Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons. Good idea.

Bear in mind too that if the President's motorcade is traveling around the
5 PM hour it may be hard to get around some parts of Portland, depending
where he is going. But we will be at the corner of SW Yamhill and Broadway
at 5 PM regardless.

That's all for now
dan handelman