[pjw] REPORT BACK: Smoke gets in: Friday rally #129 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Sep 10 17:13:09 EDT 2022

Iraq Affinity Group supporters:

Not quite living up to the headline here, it was hazy and a bit windy last
night but the Friday Rally for Peace and Justice was not overwhelmed by
smoke from wildfires. What smoke there was is somewhat mitigated by our
policy on everyone wearing masks. We had nine people at the rally and
march, one new person who just struck up a conversation with a "regular"
and came along for the entire rest of the event. We were able to give out
about 30 pieces of literature including flyers for the October 7 special
Friday Rally on Afghanistan and Syria
https://www.pjw.info/afghan21yl_flyer.pdf
and a newly updated PJW brochure which includes Flying Focus Video
Collective and a mention of the Friday rallies!

There was a lot of support, including a mom who called us "awesome"
leading her child to take a flyer, and a lot of cars using horns and
pedestrians saying "honk honk" in response to a "honk if you love peace"
sign.

I announced the October 7 event and then spoke about, among other things,
these headlines:

--The head of National Security says President Biden wants "options" in
Iran if the nuclear deal doesn't go through, which you know means he wants
to be able to drop bombs.

  https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-wants-other-options-block-iran-nuclear-weapons-capability-if-deal-fails-2022-09-08/

---In a totally related story, the US flew B52s over the middle east this
week, as a show of force against Iran. This does not bode well.

  https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-iran-united-states-dubai-arab-emirates-7ffd5e8b42ae039d9807665c444d4dfa

--A few weeks ago we noted how the US had fired a nuclear-capable
missile from California toward China; they sent up a second one this
week. Remember this when you hear talk of China's "aggression."

  https://www.defensenews.com/training-sim/2022/09/06/us-air-force-to-test-launch-nuclear-missile-wednesday-morning/

--The government in Afghanistan has called for the US to stop sending
drones into its airspace, again proving the need for our Oct 7 rally
saying to end the war there.

  https://tolonews.com/afghanistan-179742

--And you know how we've been talking about the US having military
bases in NE Syria without permission... this week they set up a
third such base. Still no authorization.

  https://english.news.cn/20220903/4f3399edba32403fbdc4906258b13743/c.html

---Also in Syria, Israel launched airstrikes against the Aleppo airport
twice in a week killing at least three.

  https://www.thedefensepost.com/2022/09/07/israeli-strikes-syria-airport/

--On a slightly more positive note, Biden has decided not to label Russia
a state sponsor of terrorism. Not because of the hypocrisy of the US
calling others that name, but to preserve food shipping integrity.

  https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-will-not-declare-russia-state-sponsor-terrorism-white-house-2022-09-06/

--In Iraq, the Supreme Court says it does not have the constitutional
authority to dissolve parliament, so the political crisis continues.

  https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/iraq-top-court-dissolve-parliament-amid-crisis-89456682

In local news, Patriot Prayer point person Joey Gibson, whose case of riot
was thrown out by a judge who said there was no evidence he himself
engaged in violence, is suing Portland and the District Attorney, saying
they are politically biased towards the left. Did he see what the police
did during most of the Antifa vs. "patriot" type events or the 6000 uses
of force against racial justice protestors in 2020?

  https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2022/09/patriot-prayer-leader-joey-gibson-plans-100m-lawsuit-against-portland-county-alleging-malicious-prosecution.html

Along the route I noted that dozens of journalists who covered Israel's
most recent bombing of Palestine were pushed off social media; a true sign
of the "only democracy in the Middle East that the US should support."

  https://english.alaraby.co.uk/news/tens-gazan-journalists-blocked-facebook-and-tiktok

And in the money for human needs not war category, the military is
planning to spend $21 billion (with a b) on Microsoft enhanced reality
goggles for soldiers. That money couldn't be used to say, provide health
care, housing or education instead, could it?

  https://interestingengineering.com/science/us-military-to-get-microsofts-combat-goggles

This wee the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign froze up by the Gucci
store and went out around the corner. The new attendee got my attention
to let me know it was not on any more and I had to explain it's par for
the course...

While there is a hospital in Eastern Oregon which is setting aside some
non-patient areas where masks won't be required, we're still asking
everyone who attends to mask up for safety. Those who are willing and able
to attend, we're down at SW Broadway and Yamhill every Friday at 5. If the
crowd gets too big we can split up to other sides of the street.

peace