[pjw] REPORT BACK: Violence at home and abroad: Friday rally #149 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Jan 28 15:43:20 EST 2023

Supporters of peaceful conflict resolution

Last night eight of us gathered, rallied and marched at the Friday Rally
for Peace and Justice, along with a ninth person who admired our "Police
Accountability" sign, read parts of the Copwatch newsletter, discussed
the idea of police de-escalation, held a sign for about 5 minutes, then
moved on. It felt as if, for the second week in a row, we had more support
from passers-by than people in cars, though we did get one semi-detractor
who asked why our signs say "no war on Russia" instead of "no war on
Ukraine." More about this worsening global conflict below. No rain to
speak of, and the protests about Tyre Nichols in Portland didn't start
until 7 PM so we weren't able to overlap with them (again, more below).

This week, here are some of the headlines we talked about:

--The US, United Kingdom, Germany, Poland, Finland, Norway, and Spain are
planning to send tanks (not light armored vehicles) to Ukraine. The US is
sending 31, with the UK, Germany and Poland pledging 14 each. That's 73
tanks. Perhaps they want to be sure this war keeps going, and killing.

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/1/25/which-countries-are-supplying-tanks-to-ukraine

--Two stories about US military violence in Somalia:

---A US helicopter raid led to the targeted killing of an "ISIS leader,"
who, like a regenerating lizard limb was like all the others "the worst of
the worst" allegedly.

  https://archive.is/QhRwk
  https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/26/us/politics/isis-leader-us-somalia-raid.html

---Also, 30 people were killed by a US airstrike four days earlier.

  https://news.antiwar.com/2023/01/22/us-military-says-30-al-shabaab-killed-in-somalia-airstrike/

--Reminding us that drone strikes go both ways, there was another attack
on a US base in Syria. The article doesn't indicate any injuries or
deaths. But it also doesn't address WHY THE US HAS ANY LEGAL RIGHT
TO HAVE MILITARY BASES IN SYRIA.

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/1/20/drone-attack-hits-us-led-coalition-base-in-southern-syria

--Secretary of State Blinken affirmed what it would seem the US would be
hard pressed to admit, which is that there has not been a surge in
"terrorism" in Afghanistan since the withdrawal. But he (felt he had to)
add that the US can always fly in and kill someone if need be.

  https://tolonews.com/afghanistan-181697

--France signed a cooperative agreement with Iraq including ways to
enhance their national oil company's presence ("Total"). The article
indicates that Exxon/Mobil, Shell and BP are reducing their presence in
Iraq, which is surprising.

  https://english.alarabiya.net/News/middle-east/2023/01/27/France-and-Iraq-sign-comprehensive-strategic-partnership-agreement

In local news, Portland Police are asking for input into their new 5-year
Equity plan. While it seems, as usual, more words than action, thy do
include the important words that they don't want to be an "occupying
force" and that they want to "deal with" misconduct. ("Deal with"?)
They're taking comments until Feb. 19

  https://www.portland.gov/police/news/2023/1/26/portland-police-bureau-creating-new-racial-equity-plan

It also was important to make the connection between government violence
to enforce state power abroad with the shocking police brutality in
Memphis. The amazing things about the death of Tyre Nichols are (a) that
five officers were all fired and indicted, and (b) all five are Black. To
this point, I heard a minister from Memphis say that the issue in policing
isn't race, but it's the culture of police brutality that is the problem.

  https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2023/01/27/christian-reverend-tyre-nichols

Along the march route, I tried to summarize the week in violence in
Israel, where Israeli forces raided a West Bank refugee area and killed
nine people, the rockets were fired from Gaza, followed by Israeli
airstrikes. Speaking of people who need to learn de-escalation.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-air-strikes-gaza-rockets-deadly-jenin-raid

As we headed back toward SW Yamhill and 6th to wrap up, I noted that I
rarely talk about Republicans making sense on the military budget. But
Senator Rand Paul called this week to cut $100 Billion from "sacred cow"
military expenses to balance the federal budget in four years. However, he
did not say that more money should be diverted from that budget to get
people jobs, homes, health care and a safe environment. Still.

  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rand-paul-gop-should-give-up-sacred-cow-and-trim-military-spending/ar-AA16Kdxz

This week the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign went out along the block by
the Gucci store on 4th Ave. Admittedly the battery generator was down to
about 50% so, it may have been that issue? But probably the gremlins.

I reminded everyone that on March 17 we'll have our special event about
"After 20 Years, the US is Still in Iraq." I'm told some allies in the
movement said "you could do an anniversary all the time because the US has
so many wars." That is true, but as the Iraq Affinity Group-- and as the
war on Iraq continues in the form of occupation-- we continue our efforts.

peace