[pjw] REPORT BACK: Varied audience: Friday rally #155 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Mar 11 15:53:49 EST 2023

Hello again peaceful people

Last night we had ten people at the Friday Rally for Peace and Justice,
though three peeled off during the march so we ended with seven. In just
the first five minutes or so, we had various expressions of support
including three young people who asked about the IRAQ US OUT sign. I said
there are still 2500 troops there and THEY said, yeah and the Iraqi
parliament voted to kick them out! Then they talked about Ukraine and how
it's hard to pick a side because of the actions of the US/NATO. A little
later someone came over and asked about the Iraq sign-- and another person
along the march route said "you need to update your sign." Opportunities
to educate.

Other positive feedback came from a carful of young men liking our "Free
Palestine" sign and, strangely, the same people doubling back liking the
"No War on Russia" sign where they referred to Putin as if he were a
benevolent relative. OK.

Overall there were many honks and waves of support, and at least one
person helped themselves to literature from the wagon.

What were the headlines we focused on this week?

--Saudi Arabia and Iran agreed to normalized relations. Countries
mentioned in the formal document: China (final broker) and Iraq (initial
efforts). Not mentioned: the United States (you snooze you lose) and,
sadly, Yemen. Surely the US is in a tight spot if our main oil supplier
can support Iran.

  https://www.spa.gov.sa/viewfullstory.php?lang=en&newsid=2433231#2433231

--The War Powers Resolution on Syria that (highly questionable) Rep.
Mat Gaetz introduced went down on a 103-321 vote. Interestingly, though
introduced by a Republican 56 of the 103 votes were from Democrats,
including all four from Oregon.

  https://news.antiwar.com/2023/03/08/house-votes-down-resolution-to-withdraw-troops-from-syria/

---In a piece of probably-not-coincidental timing, the chair of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff visited US troops in Syria two days before the vote. Hope
they had to register as a lobbyist!

  https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/05/politics/mark-milley-syria-isis-us-forces/index.html

---The UN humanitarian coordinator in Syria condemned yet another
airstrike on the Damascus airport conducted by Israel. Though often met
with silence, this one made waves because they are still trying to get aid
to the earthquake survivors.

  https://reliefweb.int/report/syrian-arab-republic/united-nations-resident-coordinator-and-humanitarian-coordinator-ad-interim-syria-el-mostafa-benlamlih-statement-aleppo-international-airport-strikes

--In Ukraine, they are now actively using some scary standalone "smart
bombs" supplied by the US of A. This reminds me of the event we did during
the war on Yugoslavia where we had a bombshell wearing a mortarboard and
played "Pomp and Circumstance" to show it was so smart.

  https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/winged-jdam-smart-bombs-are-now-operational-in-ukraine

--In a bit of good news for a change, another Guantanamo prisoner was
released. Now only 33 men remain in the notorious prison. There were 40
when Trump was in office.

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/9/saudi-engineer-released-from-guantanamo-prison-camp-after-21-yrs

--So horrible but kind of makes you laugh: The Pentagon blocked the US
government from sending Russia to the International Criminal Court for war
crimes. They fear (and with good reason given US history) it would set a
precedent that would lead to war crimes charges against Americans.

  https://archive.is/syfYo
  https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/08/us/politics/pentagon-war-crimes-hague.html

--An American family whose son was killed in Iraqi Kurdistan is suing the
Iranian government... which may or may not have taken responsibility for
the airstrike. Remember Turkey keeps bombing Northern Iraq too.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-citizen-family-sues-iran-bombing-kurdish-groups-iraq

---Speaking of Iraq, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin visited this week
saying that the US is there to stay. Take that, doubters of our "US OUT"
signs.

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/7/pentagon-chief-surprise-trip-says-us-troops-stay-iraq

--Yemeni families are suing American defense contractors for supporting
the Saudi war and aiding in war crimes.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/yemenis-sue-top-us-defence-contractors-aiding-war-crimes

In local news, no this is NOT a repeat of last week's story, another
protestor stands to be awarded $60,000 due to police violence during the
2020 protests. Portland Copwatch tallies show this brings the total to
over $1.2 million for protest lawsuits settled in the last 3 years.

  https://www.portland.gov/council/documents/ordinance/settlement-jorge-bellos-bodily-injury-lawsuit
  https://dockets.justia.com/docket/oregon/ordce/3:2022cv00411/165908

Along the march route, I talked about some Israeli soldiers who stood by
while settlers attacked Palestinians, and later danced on the same street
with residents.

  https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/7/israeli-attack-wounds-palestinians-as-settlers-and-soldiers-dance

Also, Thomas Friedman wrote an op-ed in the NY Times talking about how
Americans who support Israel have to confront the reality that it's not
always "Israel right or wrong" (my paraphrase). He noted the 250,000
person march against reforming the judiciary is the equivalent of 8
million Americans protesting.

  https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/07/opinion/benjamin-netanyahu-israel-protests.html

As we headed back to the Square, we talked about Biden's proposed new
budget, which _increases_ military spending to $886 billion. Why not
prioritize human needs instead?

  https://breakingdefense.com/2023/03/white-house-requests-842-billion-to-fund-pentagon-in-2024/

This week the Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign went out again somewhere in
front of the Gucci store, I wasn't watching carefully. But, pretty much
the usual.

One of our regulars who was out for a few weeks was back, so enthusiastic
they held three picket signs. As noted last week, PJW will discuss our
masking policies in light of the Oregon Health Authority change coming up
in early April; we may choose to keep masking requirements in place for a
little while longer than that, but I'll keep you all posted.

Once again I reminded everyone that next Friday starts at the normal time
(5 PM) and place (SW Yamhill and Broadway) but will be mostly focused on
the 20 year anniversary of the Iraq war.

   https://pjw.info/iraq20yl.html

peace