[pjw] REPORT BACK: 20 (or 32) long years in Iraq: Friday rally #156 since stay-at-home orders

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Mar 18 15:55:26 EDT 2023

Supporters of peace in Iraq and around the world

Perhaps reflecting the raised awareness around the anniversary of the war
on Iraq (tomorrow, March 19), we had fifteen people at last night's
specially themed Friday Rally for Peace and Justice. This included two new
people, one who attended for their second time after showing up months ago
for a one-off, and two members of the peace community we hadn't seen for a
while. (For those doing the math at home, that leaves ten "regulars.")
Technically there were fourteen at the rally, then one person left and
another joined at the exact same point of the march, then another person
left the march so we ended with 13 people. Still, the pandemic numbers for
this annual event were six in 2020 and 2021, and nine in 2022, so a record
high over the course of the four events.

We handed out over 50 fact sheets, the substance of which is reflected
in the report back below, but which can be found on our website here:

https://pjw.info/iraq20ylfacts.pdf

I expect to send out the full text tomorrow. I've also posted a photo on
the event page which shows how we double-sided two existing "IRAQ-US OUT"
signs to have the message "NO F35 FIGHTER JETS" on the back.

https://pjw.info/iraq20yl.html#photo

In addition to all the people who took our literature, we had lots of
honks and other signs of support.

I started the rally with a summary of the last 32 years in Iraq and then
addressed some recent headlines:

--In 1990, Kuwait was slant drilling for oil under Iraq's soil; the US
ambassador told Iraq the US had "no opinion on your Arab-Arab dispute"
which was taken as a green light for Iraq to invade.

--The US then imposed one of the strictest sancions regime in history, and
started a war the day after MLK's birthday in 1991, known as the "Gulf
War."

--The war and sanctions killed hundreds of thousands of people, with
Secretary of State Madeleine Albright shrugging off the deaths of half a
million children saying "the price is worth it."

--In 2001, after the attacks of 9/11, the US began to make a false case
that Iraq was somehoe involved. In late 2002 congress passed a use of
force authorization citing Iraq's "weapons of mass destruction."

--In early 2003, Secretary of State Colin Powell lied to the United
Nations about those alleged weapons, and about a month later the US
and its allies attacked and invaded Iraq, killing thousands more.

--The US occupied the country, buildilng the world's largest embassy. 2500
troops remain there today despite claims of "withdrawal."

--The good news (as I wrote earlier this week): The Senate is on the brink
of voting to repeal the authorizations for both the 1991 and 2003 wars,
though the 2001 AUMF which led to the "war on terror" will remain.

--As noted last week, the US won't present evidence about alleged Russian
war crimes in Ukraine for fear of prosecution. Those who live in violent
houses shouldn't throw around war crimes accusations, I guess.

--On that note, Russia has pointed to the US invasions/wars on Yugoslavia,
Afthanistan, Iraq and Libya to show America's hypocrisy.

---Don't forget, March 19 is also the 12 year anniversary of the US war on
Libya, which like Iraq has been in shambles since the US intervention with
no stable government at this time.

--The US continues to pressure Iran not to build nuclear weapons even
though the CIA has found that country isn't trying to build any, while
turning a blind eye to Israel's undeclared but surely existing nuclear
arms.

---Israel also continues to occupy the West Bank and Gaza after 56 years
despite dozens of UN Security Council resolutions declaring the occupation
illegal.

--And in solidarity with Code Pink and many of the 200 other organizations
who signed a letter last fall to end the F-35 fighter jet program, we
included the facts that these planes will cost $1.7 trillion, they
frequently don't work properly, they pollute the environment, disrupt the
communities where they are test-flown, and, oh yeah, they are meant to
kill people.

On to other news:

--This week a US drone went down in the Black Sea after a Russian plane
apparently dumped fuel on it and (maybe accidentally) clipped its
propellor. Seems similar in many ways to the US downing that Chinese
balloon last month... why is the US flying dones over the Black Sea
anyway?

  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/15/russian-us-drone-jet-recovery

---As if there needs to be more escalation of the war, Poland and
Slovakia are going to provide fighter jets to Ukraine.

  https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-poland-russia-war-jets-migs-6d843ccbd50fef5f96091a5bff8f3e01?taid=641310a337b03e00014cf23a
  https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/slovak-government-send-mig-29-fighter-jets-ukraine-pm-2023-03-17/

--Here in the US, a Democrat and Republican have teamed up to write a
resolution requiring a review of Saudi Arabia's human rights record before
engaging in trade or other relations with them (presumably including
shuttnig down any support for the war in Yemen).

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-saudi-arms-sales-senators-propose-resolution-derail-exports

--A rocket attack on a US base in a Syrian oil field didn't kill anyone,
but raises the question again of WHY DOES THE US HAVE MILITARY BASES IN
SYRIA?

  https://thecradle.co/article-view/22501/rockets-hit-us-occupied-oilfield-in-northeast-syria

In local news, the Portland Police Bureau wants to join in the wartime fun
by getting $80,000 worth of drones. They say it is for traffic accident
scenes and "critical incidents" like hostage situations. But we know
they'll use them to spy on activists and communities of color.

  https://www.portland.gov/council/documents/ordinance/ppb-uas-ordinance

Along the march route, I relayed a news story I read about 250+ businesses
who are threatening to boycott Israel if it passes the law allowing the
government to overturn judicial decisions. Again, there's so much existing
injustice, but it's good they're drawing the line somewhere.

  https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-business-leaders-boycott-israel-judicial-reforms

And as we headed back toward the square, I takled about how Biden's $886
billion Pentagon budget, which provides for more missiles, bombers and
warships, is described as the largest "peacetime" defense spending. Can
someone tell me when we entered into "peacetime"? (Is it like Daylight
Savings?)

  https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2023/03/heres-everything-we-know-about-pentagons-2024-budget-proposal/383892/

The Ann Huntwork Peace Memorial Sign stayed on this week until we got
around the corner from the Gucci store but across from the Apple store.
One of our regulars (who first joined at the 18 year Iraq anniversary
event!) usually carries a large cardboard sign. For a short while it
seemed that was blocking the jammimng signals?? Who knows. It went out,
but popped back on a few minutes after we finished the march.

We're continuing to encourage folks to mask up and stay distanced, but we
always welcome you to join us any week at 5 PM on a Friday night at
Pioneer Courthouse Square's SW corner.

thanks