[pjw] REPORT-BACK #2: Alliance For Democracy sign-holding event/note from Fri

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sun Sep 3 13:56:27 EDT 2023

Hello again PJW supporters

Yesterday, our friends at Alliance for Democracy held what they're
intending to be the first of an ongoing weekly "sign-holding" event. It's
set up to run each Saturday from 4:30-6 PM at the east end of the Burnside
Bridge (SE Burnside and MLK).

There were seven people there (at least during the time I was there, which
was only until 5:15), and way more traffic and horn-honks of support than
I would have expected on a Saturday evening... especially during a
three-day weekend. Overall it was another uplifting experience to be with
fellow peace activists and feel that the Portland community agrees with
alternatives to violent policies.

To tell the next story I need to back up and relay something I forgot
about that happened at the Friday rally-- which is that two cop cars drove
by and at least one of them gave us a supporting hand gesture out their
window. ??!!!?  Don't they realize they're part of the military machine, I
asked the other attendees. They seemed to think it was sincere, not
sarcastic.

Lat night, a cop came up to the AFD event and spoke to the organizers just
out of range of my ability to hear. I recognized him because 9 years ago
he sat as a non-voting member on a community committee (the Community
Oversight Advisory Board) and he got REALLY MAD AT ME when I refused to
shake his hand. At first when I explained to him that I'm with Portland
Copwatch and having a picture of a cop shaking my hand would totally make
people not want to tell me their stories, he just shook his head and
walked away, but later he said he understood.

Although I tried to catch his eye at the event, I don't know whether he
deliberately stopped because he saw me, but the organizers said that he
told them that after witnessing a lot of violence and drug overdoses he
was happy to see people doing something positive. So there's that!

ANYWAY, I've added this event to the Ongoing Actions page of our website:
https://pjw.info/ongoingvigils.html
If you see anything on that page which needs updating let us know.

And if you can join the AFD folks some Saturday, do that! I certainly
can't make it a regular habit but probably will stop by from time to time.

On that note, if it is of concern to you, I was the only person wearing a
mask at the AFD event. As noted yesterday, COVID's back on the rise and a
new variant is on the way, so do what makes you feel most safe.

Thanks again
dan handelman