[pjw] RSVP/ PJW UPDATE: Our recent newsletter & July 20 quarterly meeting

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sun Jun 16 13:18:39 EDT 2024

PJW supporters

Many of you should have received our June 2024 newsletter, the PJW UPDATE,
in the mail in the past week or so.

It's jam-packed with info, but two highlights are (I'm plugging this every
day when I can!) the Noor Ghazi livestream event on Tuesday June 25 at 5
PM and the summer quarterly meeting on Saturday July 20 at noon.

Contact us if you have any questions.

Thanks!

dan handelman
secretary
peace and justice works

-----------------

PJW UPDATE
June 6. 2024

Peace and Justice Works members, volunteers, and supporters:

Join us for the
PJW SUMMER QUARTERLY MEETING
Saturday, July 20, 2024
12 noon (conversation); 12:30 PM (meeting)
*Conference call- contact us for info*

Please join the call! Peace and Justice Works' 32nd Summer Quarterly
meeting will be held on Saturday, July 20. We continue to hold our
meetings by remote for maximum safety of vulnerable populations, but are
constantly evaluating in-person options. We begin with casual conversation
at 12 noon, followed by the meeting from 12:30-2:30 PM. Please RSVP to get
the conference call information.

The proposed agenda includes:

--updates on Affinity Group work (Copwatch,
     Iraq, Flying Focus, other);

--financial and office update, fund-raising,
     volunteer outreach;

--set Fall Quarterly meeting.

Membership is not required to attend-- this is a good place to learn about
what's going on and plug in!

Iraq Affinity Group Hosting Livestream with Peace Activist Noor Ghazi

The Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group (IAG) continues to educate
the public on how the US affects people through economic, military and
other policies. As we have each year since 2020, the IAG is hosting a
livestream forum in June. The speaker will be Noor Ghazi, an
Iraqi-American peace activist whose family was impacted by sanctions, the
US invasion, and the fallout from it. To accommodate east coast time, we
will start the forum on Tuesday, June 25 at 5 PM Pacific Time. The topic:
"The US Invasion of Iraq: Intended or Unintended Consequences?" Attend by
watching at youtube.com/peaceandjusticeworks and you can use email to send
in questions for the Q&A! Instructions to be shared during the event.

It's hard to believe that the IAG has been hosting the Friday Rally for
Peace and Justice each week at 5 PM at SW Yamhill and Broadway for four
years now. The rally has been there every week since Portland Peaceful
Response Coalition started it in November 2001. In March, we marked the
21st anniversary of the Iraq War. In January, we faced an oncoming ice
storm to note 22 years of Guantanamo prison being open. We also handed out
War Resisters League information about the military budget on the Friday
before Tax Day and updated our statement on the war in Ukraine in May.

This year's Hiroshima/Nagasaki memorial is being collectively organized,
with Oregon Physicians for Social Responsibility hosting planning
meetings. The IAG has been involved in planning the event, which is
tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, August 6 (Hiroshima day) at 6 PM
in-person at the Japanese American Historical Plaza in Waterfront Park.

The IAG usually meets on second Mondays at 5 PM.

Flying Focus Programs Concentrate on Israel/Palestine, Climate and More

Flying Focus Video Collective (FFVC) has been around for 33 years, two of
them as a project group of PJW. Recent programs have included both new
information and reruns of older shows about the conflict in
Israel/Palestine. Other shows have focused on the climate crisis,
celebrating the life of unique Portland activist Barry Sutton, the
appropriation of people's land and space, and more. You can see several
shows on the Flying Focus YouTube page youtube.com/flyingfocusshows. Write
to ffvc at flyingfocus.org to learn more!

Portland Copwatch Prompts Changes in State Deadly Force Database,
Continues Local Work

As it has every year since 2014, Portland Copwatch (PCW), our project
group which focuses on police accountability, sent another letter tracking
law enforcement deadly force incidents in Oregon to the state Attorney
General. PCW followed up this year by sending lists of the 74 incidents
missing from the database (along with errors that need correcting) to 27
District Attorneys. This prompted the posting of at least eight of the
missing incidents, the addition of the "ethnicity" field to the publicly
available data, and responses from two DAs.

In addition, Copwatch testifies to City Council about oversight, payments
made due to police misconduct (PPB violence at 2020 protests has cost the
City over $2.5 million), how sweeping houseless people disrupts their
lives, and more. We counted over 33 weeks in 2023 at which PCW spoke to
the City, sometimes on multiple topics in the same week.

PCW also continues to monitor the US Department of Justice Settlement
Agreement. Quarterly reports from the Compliance Officer/Community Liaison
will soon be replaced by semi-annual analysis from a Court-Appointed
Monitor, approved at a federal court hearing in May where PCW members
testified. Related to the Agreement, PCW attends meetings of the Portland
Committee on Community Engaged Policing, the Training Advisory Council,
and more. As Portland prepares to institute some form of the new oversight
system added to the City Charter in 2020, PCW is keeping an eye on efforts
to dilute that Board's powers (including by the police "union"), and how
the current system, the "Independent" Police Review and its Citizen Review
Committee, will smoothly transition to the new one.

In January, Copwatch once again coordinated Council testimony about
Portland Police cooperation with the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force
(JTTF). The reports continue to be threadbare and show that-- if they're
to be believed-- there are few cases of local cops being drawn into
federal investigation. Even when they do, the suspects often have more of
a mental health issue than a motivation of "terrorism."

PCW also continues to accept calls on its incident report line
(503-321-5120). The People's Police Report is still printed regularly
three times a year. Get more information at portlandcopwatch.org.

You Can Make the World a Whole Lot Brighter

Peace and Justice Works has been educating the public on war and peace,
police accountability and other interrelated issues for over 32 years.
Your financial support, volunteer efforts and networking help us circulate
information to create a better planet.

We hope you will use send back information to indicate if you want to
volunteer (4 hours a year can earn a voting membership), donate money/
wish list items, or pay a $20-45 sliding scale membership. Send donations
to PO Box 42456/Portland, OR 97242. If you donate online, use our page at
Network for Good (see options for recurring donations) and indicate the
project/s you support in the "designation" field.  Find links to the NFG
site at pjw.info. Because we are all volunteers, your donations support
our relatively small office, websites and printed materials. Call or text
us at 503-235-3065 if you want to help out, ask a question or leave
feedback.

You, our supporters, are what keeps the peace light burning here!