[pjw] NEWS: Deployed Army captain sues Obama over ISIS fight (Army Times 5/4)

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Tue May 10 20:12:16 EDT 2016

Iraq Affinity Group supporters:

In October, we alerted you to the efforts of Yale Law Professor Bruce
Ackerman to find an active duty US military person deployed in the "War
against ISIS" to sue the government for conducting a war that hasn't been
authorized by Congress.

He has found that person, as noted in the article below. The Army Captain
is very pro-military action-- which I suppose helps the legal case, but
means the political outcome could be a vote to support war rather than one
to end it.

Prof. Ackerman revealed his case in a New York Times Op-ed last week at
the same time the below Army Times article came out.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/opinion/is-americas-war-on-isis-illegal.html

Just to be sure Ackerman wasn't doing this as a political tweak to "get"
President Obama (as opposed to actually standing on the principles he's
citing about the Constitutional duty of Congress), I poked around a bit
and found this interview from October 2014:
<http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/10/06/war-powers-aumf-constitutional-crisis-obama>

What's interesting about the interview is that the 60 day clock established
by the War Powers Act was just about to run out and the debate was on
whether Congress could/should act in an election year. Here we are 19
months later in _another_ election year and the war rages on. (More info
about the "boots on the ground" coming tomorrow.)

In the interview, Ackerman says, for what it's worth, that he testified in
favor or Bill Clinton at his impeachment hearing and helped litigate Bush
v. Gore for Al Gore. So, I take his approach on this at face value. The
point of the War Powers Act was to prevent another escalation such as
the Vietnam "War" spilling into Laos and Cambodia. Seems apt to force a
vote on a war that's now in Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Libya and to some extent
Afghanistan.

Let people know this is going on. America was founded (again, for what
it's worth-- insert white rich men with slaves writing Constitution remark
here) to avoid having one person be able to declare and enact wars.

dan h