[pjw] ACTION(s): Protest the USS Portland Commissioning! + Emergency Action reminder

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Fri Apr 13 12:48:31 EDT 2018

PJW supporters
Below are a few more details on our protest planned for next Saturday,
April 21 regarding the giant USS Portland which will be docked at our
waterfront starting tomorrow (Sat. April 14) until the 22nd (earth day!).
There are lots of opportunities to let the world know we don't want a
warship in our city. PJW is still planning something on the morning of the
21st when the commissioning ceremony takes place. Contact us if you are
interested in being part of our action. We're not posting the location at
this time as it is subject to change so please do contact us if you want
to help out.

Meanwhile, the US continues to threaten a strike against Syria. There are
still quite a few ongoing peace actions to join around town including the
Friday Portland Peaceful Response rally at Pioneer Square tonight (and
every Friday) at 5 PM (SW Yamhill and Broadway).

United for Peace and Justice has a good statement / action alert about
Syria here:

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/2018/04/12/no-wider-war-in-syria-call-congress-today-join-protests-for-peace-around-the-country-this-weekend/

although the one thing I would like to see added is having the US join the
International Criminal Court and suggest bringing charges against whomever
may have committed war crimes in Syria. That is probably not going to
happen, since the US is among those who have done so. As horrible as the
alleged chemical weapons attack seems, it's reported to have killed
dozens, while the US has admitted to killing 855 people (which is a very
low estimate) in Iraq and Syria since 2014.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/380653-coalition-acknowledges-killing-at-least-855-civilians-since-start-of-isis-war

Also, this happened in 2014 when the UN Security Council tried:
https://www.un.org/press/en/2014/sc11407.doc.htm
(vetoed by Russia and China).

OK, now, last thing before getting to next Saturday: The standing call to
action for if the US launches an attack on another country is to meet at 4
PM at Terry Schrunk Plaza, SW 3rd and Jefferson, on the day of the attack,
or 4 PM the day after. If you are able to help mobilize quickly (and
have a vehicle that can hold protest signs) if such an attack happens
please contact us at 503-236-3065.

On that note, if you have a passenger van and can help out on the 21st
from 8:45-12:15 contact us too.
--dan h

Protest the USS Portland Commissioning!
Saturday, April 21, 2018
9:00 AM-12:00 Noon
Location TBA

On April 14, a giant Amphibious Landing Dock will be docked at Portland's
Terminal 2, with public tours being given on the 16th, 17th, 18th and 20th
at 2 PM. The ship is being officially commissioned on Saturday, April 21
in the morning and Peace and Justice Works (PJW) wants to send a message:
No Warships in Portland! If you want to be part of our action please
contact PJW at 503-236-3065 or email pjw at pjw.info.

In March, Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler proclaimed April 21 will be "USS
Portland Day," with the proclamation stating that the ship will "protect
our nations [sic] interests but also provide aid during emergencies such
as earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes or other disasters."

PJW pointed out the ship has two anti-air missile systems, two 30MM
anti-surface guns, nine 50 caliber anti-surface machine guns.

Also, according to Naval Today, it is home to an experimental laser weapon.

https://navaltoday.com/2018/01/12/newest-us-navy-lpd-portland-to-serve-as-laser-weapon-host-ship/

PJW also pointed to the 2012 Portland City Council Resolution calling to
redirect funds from wars to human needs:
http://pjw.info/wardollars_city_final.html
and resolutions passed by the National Conference of Mayors.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2011/06/20/137305749/mayors-ask-congress-to-end-iraq-afghan-wars-reroute-money-to-u-s-cities
http://legacy.usmayors.org/resolutions/85th_Conference/proposedcommittee.asp?committee=Metro%20Economies

We told council: "When Iraq was under United States and United Nations
sanctions, our country refused to let in hundreds of items the Iraqi
people desperately needed, including tires for their ambulances. The
federal government claimed those items were "dual use" for both civilian
and military. Just as it was a morally imprecise stretch to prevent tires
from reaching the Iraqi public because they might be used for military
purposes, it is a stretch in the other direction to praise a warship
because it may someday be used for humanitarian relief efforts."

The ship cost $2 billion to build. The commissioning ceremony is being funded by
private donations including war profiteers Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Boeing
and Insitu (which have plants in Oregon) and Wilsonville's FLIR Systems (which
makes infrared devices to help target "the enemy"). A full list and other
details are at
http://ussportlandlpd27.org/

Be aware there will be high security around this projection of military
prowess: when warships during the Rose Festival, fencing around them carry
signs saying "No Trespassing-- US Navy Restricted Area-- USE OF FORCE
AUTHORIZED."

Our housing, roads, parks, schools and other critical infrastructure are
under-funded and crumbling. Given the US military's role as the world's
largest institutional driver of climate change, the City should not be
welcoming this ship with open arms. As Martin Luther King, Jr. said: "A
nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military
defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death."

--Peace and Justice Works
   Iraq Affinity Group
   PO Box 42456
   Portland, OR   97242