[pjw] PJW UPDATE: Our July newsletter & July 22 quarterly meeting

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Wed Jul 11 19:44:31 EDT 2018

PJW supporters

Below is the text of the July 5 PJW UPDATE, our twice yearly newsletter
that you may have received via snail mail recently (or will receive soon).
The text has been modified slightly for email purposes.

Our summer quarterly meeting is coming up a week from this Sunday-- on
July 22 at Augustana Lutheran Church. It's a good time for people in our
different project groups, general PJW members and the board to meet and
keep up to date. It stars with a vegetarian potluck at noon with a meeting
from 12:30-2 PM.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and if you feel like it let
us know if you plan to attend.

Thanks!

dan handelman
secretary
peace and justice works

------

Dear Peace and Justice Works members, volunteers, and supporters:

Join us for the

PJW SUMMER QUARTERLY MEETING
Sunday, July 22, 2018
12 noon (potluck); 12:30 PM (meeting)
Augustana Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall, NE 15th and Knott

Please join us for the 27th PJW summer quarterly meeting coming up on
Sunday, July 22. Our meeting at the Augustana Lutheran Church (NE 15th and
Knott) begins with a 12 noon vegetarian potluck (bring vegetarian food and
non-alcoholic drink to share), followed by the business meeting from
12:30-2:00 PM.

Proposed agenda:

--updates on Affinity Group work (Iraq, Copwatch, other);

--financial and office update, fund-raising, volunteer outreach;

--set Fall Quarterly meeting.

Quarterly meetings are good to catch up current and prospective new
members!

Iraq Affinity Group to Host Kathy Kelly, Co-sponsor Hiroshima/Nagasaki
Memorial

The PJW Iraq Affinity Group (IAG) educates the public on the effects of US
policy in the "Middle East" and elsewhere. In March, we cosponsored a
Portland Peaceful Response Coalition Friday Rally to mark 15 years since
the invasion of Iraq. In April, we organized an emergency rally against
the bombing of Syria. Shortly after that, we set up a 7 foot tall, 20 foot
wide banner reading "No War" across from the USS Portland as it was
commissioned on the waterfront. This was the first event supported by the
Ann Huntwork Fund for Creative Action. In June, we co-sponsored a forum on
the Trump administration's decision to end the Iran nuclear agreement and
set the two countries on a possible path to war funded in part by the Jan
Bone Memorial Fund for Public Forums.

This September we are working on plans to host Nobel Peace Prize Nominee
Kathy Kelly of Voices for Creative Nonviolence to speak about Afghanistan,
Yemen and Iraq, countries Voices continues visiting to inspire peaceful
activism. On that note, we sent letters to all seven members of Oregon's
congressional delegation in January asking them to take action to end the
war in Yemen.

As we have for most every year since our founding, the IAG is
co-sponsoring the annual Hiroshima and Nagasaki memorial event on Monday,
August 6 at 6 PM at the Japanese-American Historical Plaza, NW Naito
Parkway at Davis. Coordinated as usual by Oregon Physicians for Social
Responsibility, this year's theme is "Facing America's Nuclear Legacy:
Hiroshima, Nagasaki, & the Pacific Islands." For more information go to
<http://oregonpsr.org/hiroshima_day_2018>.

We can always use more help-- please come to IAG meetings-- usually on the
2nd Monday each month!

Portland Copwatch: Tracking Shootings, Observing in the Streets, Pushing
for Change

Our police accountability affinity group Portland Copwatch (PCW) seeks
change through civilian action. In January, PCW posted an updated list of
over 100 deadly force actions by law enforcement in Oregon since 2010. PCW
was tipped off that the Attorney General finally started listing such
incidents that ended in deaths-- but found it was incomplete, inaccurate
and biased. PCW has also engaged the community and city officials about
recent shootings including that of John Elifritz, a man in mental health
crisis killed in a houseless shelter in April. At the organizers' request,
we had a speaker at the 8th anniversary event remembering Keaton Otis in
May.

Groups of copwatchers walked "beats" on the east and west sides of the
Willamette in March and May, handing out literature, hearing from
houseless persons, and luckily not observing any negative police behavior.
PCW also continues to operate an incident report line (503-321-5120) for
people to share their experiences with Portland Police or Multnomah County
Sheriff's deputies.

Also, a Copwatch member sits on the steering committee of the Albina
Ministerial Alliance Coalition for Justice and Police Reform, which is
active in the legal case brought by the US Department of Justice (DOJ)
against the PPB for using excessive force. Four PCW members testified at
the April Fairness Hearing about the DOJ Settlement Agreement, pointing
out flaws in the new community body being planned to oversee the
Agreement.

PCW has met twice with Chief Outlaw, with promises to meet quarterly. We
made comments on many police policies, which sometimes leads to (minor)
changes. Copwatch also attends the Citizen Review Committee (CRC) appeals
on misconduct complaints, and monitors the work of CRC's umbrella agency--
the "Independent" Police Review. PCW is currently working on the 25th
anniversary issue of its newsletter, the People's Police Report.
Subscriptions are now $20/year for three issues. More info is at
<http://www.portlandcopwatch.org>.

Help Peace and Justice Works Defeat Police Spying and Promote World Peace

Peace and Justice Works is now in its 27th year of promoting nonviolent
conflict resolution on local, national and international levels. As part
of our campaign to get the Portland Police out of the Joint Terrorism Task
Force, PJW and Portland Copwatch were two of the co-sponsors of an April
forum featuring former FBI agent Michael German and local panelists. You
can see video of the forum on our Youtube page at
<http://www.youtube.com/peaceandjusticeworks>.

We continue to do all of this work on a budget of about $12,000 a year, in
a completely volunteer run organization. Due to increased expenses, in
February the group voted to slightly increase our sliding scale membership
fee-- one year's membership is now $20-45 sliding scale, or 4 hours of
volunteer time. Memberships, donations and/or items from our wish list
(see <http://www.pjw.info>) can be sent to PO Box 42456/Portland, OR
97242. There are also plenty of volunteer tasks we need help with,
including putting together mailings like this one, putting up flyers,
event support, and more. War and peace issues are directly connected to
issues of climate change, immigrant rights, fair trade and so many more
currently in the forefront. Thanks for being part of our important
struggle!