[pjw] Info: RIP Dr. Herman Frankel, a human rights champion

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Tue Jul 24 16:45:40 EDT 2018

PJW supporters
Dr. Herman Frankel, a longtime participant and supporter of Peace and
Justice Works, died on July 11. I just got word of this (via Regina)
yesterday.

People who participate in our mailings may remember Dr. Frankel's eternal
optimism and friendly demeanor. He was a vary strong proponent of the
effort that PJW participated in when the City revived the Human Rights
Commission under Mayor Tom Potter. I'm not sure that Dr. Frankel's
vision, which he expressed in part through song at a community forum on
the issue, has stayed strong, but the existence of the HRC is surely part
of his legacy.

The below obituary from the RiverView cemetery references his detailed
letters to officials and newspapers, Herman also shared such letters with
PJW and Portland Copwatch on a regular basis.

RIP Dr. Frankel and we will remember your spirit and kindness!
--dan h
peace and justice works/portland copwatch

  http://www.riverviewcemeteryfuneralhome.com/obituary/Herman-M.-Frankel-M.D./Portland-Oregon/1805946

Herman Frankel, M.D. Obituary
    March 30, 1938 - July 11, 2018
    Born in Brooklyn, NY
    Resided in Portland, Oregon

Obituary

    Dr. Herman Frankel died peacefully in his sleep on July 11, 2018 at
    home in Portland, Oregon, surrounded by his loving family. He is
    survived by his beloved wife of 55 years, Ruth Wallach Frankel, and his
    cherished daughters and sons-in-law, Sarah (Josh Munson) and Naomi
    (David Fair). He remained lucid, calm, and fully engaged until his
    death from appendiceal cancer. The family is grateful for the support
    of the Kaiser Permanente Hospice program.

    Herman was born March 30, 1938, in Brooklyn, NY, the treasured only
    child of Nat and Norma Frankel. After undergraduate education at
    Columbia College, medical school at Columbia University College of
    Physicians & Surgeons, medical-surgical internship at Montefiore
    Hospital and Medical Center, and pediatric residency at The New York
    Hospital Cornell Medical Center, he and Ruth moved to Portland in 1965
    for post-doctoral and faculty experience at Oregon Health Sciences
    University. His professional life included pediatric practice and
    health services research at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program,
    founding directorships of both Portland Health Institute and The
    Divorcework Center, and membership on the Governor's Council on
    Domestic Violence. Throughout his career he remained deeply committed
    to helping people learn skills and develop strengths to make positive
    changes in their lives. His young patients often thought of him as
    Mister Rogers because of his gentle, caring manner and his red v-neck
    sweaters.

    Herman was a devoted husband and proud father, a storyteller, a bridge
    builder, a caring pediatrician and passionate defender of children, a
    tireless advocate for the environment and for social justice, a poet of
    love notes and birthday songs, a generous teacher and role model, a
    dedicated community activist, a cross-step waltzer, a world traveler
    who delighted in conversations and cooking lessons with locals, a
    loving caregiver in many ways to many people, a writer of articulate
    and detailed letters and emails to newspapers and elected officials
    urging political action and social change. He baked bread, ran
    marathons, created notecards of his flower paintings, played and
    coached volleyball, led groups and authored guidebooks on varied topics
    including obesity and dealing with loss, conducted workshops for
    physicians on providing compassionate care, and walked almost daily in
    Forest Park with Ruth for over 45 years. We are comforted knowing he
    will remain a steady light in all who knew him and who were enriched by
    his empathy, kindness, authenticity, and warmth: extended family,
    friends, neighbors, even strangers in an elevator or on the street. We
    will miss him dearly, and carry him in our hearts always. As he
    consistently encouraged us all, "Let's continue working together to
    make the world a better place, one interaction at a time."

    The family will host a celebration of Herman's life in late August. In
    lieu of flowers, the family suggests honoring Herman with contributions
    to Rethinking Schools www.bit.ly/2Jo9kbw, MRG Foundation
    www.MRGFoundation.org, or an alternate organization whose work is
    meaningful to you.