[pjw] INFO: Democrat and Republican sponsor resolution on War Powers (Antiwar 7/18)

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Jul 21 15:47:15 EDT 2018

Hello PJW supporters
Below is what appears to be a news release from Rep. Tulsi Gabbard,
Democrat of Hawaii, announcing her work with Walter Jones, Republican of
North Carolina, to introduce a resolution stating that Presidents entering
into wars without Congressional authorization can be impeached.

I'm not sure if Rep. Gabbard realizes this means Obama could have been
impeached for the war on Libya, but from an institutional and
nonpartisan standpoint that should not matter.

The article quotes two groups supporting the resolution, Veterans for
Peace and Peace Action, and Bruce Fein, a Reagan era Justice Department
official quoted in this article about the war on Yemen:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/legal-scholars-trash-trump-pentagon-effort-to-prevent-senate-debate-on-yemen-war_us_5a9f0d99e4b002df2c5e895d

The online version of Gabbard's release also includes video of the
Resolution's introduction.

Right now the bill has no cosponsors except Gabbard and Jones.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-resolution/922?r=71

It's not 100% clear whether this will go anywhere OR accomplish what we
want (there are always legal complexities
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Resolution ), but it's worth
looking into.

Thanks to Dawn for the heads up on this!
--dan h
peace and justice works

  https://www.antiwar.com/blog/2018/07/18/reps-gabbard-and-jones-lead-bipartisan-resolution-to-end-presidential-wars/
Reps. Gabbard and Jones Lead Bipartisan Resolution To End Presidential Wars
    Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Posted on [18]July 18, 2018

    Washington, DC ? Reps. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) and Walter Jones (NC-03)
    hosted a press conference today to introduce a bipartisan resolution
    reclaiming Congress?s constitutional right to declare war. [19]H.Res.
    922 would define presidential wars not declared by Congress as
    impeachable "high crimes and misdemeanors."

    IFRAME: [20]https://www.youtube.com/embed/q91kRKF5EJw

    Rep. Tulsi Gabbard said: "For decades, Congress has ceded its
    Constitutional responsibility of deciding whether or not to declare
    war, to the President. As a result, we have found ourselves in a state
    of perpetual war, without a declaration of war by Congress and without
    input from the American people. Since 9/11 alone, our country has spent
    trillions of dollars on interventionist regime change wars, costing the
    lives of many Americans, taking a toll on our veterans, and causing
    people in our communities to struggle and suffer due to a lack of
    resources. Our bipartisan resolution aims to end presidential wars, and
    hold Congress accountable so it does its job in making the serious and
    costly decision about whether or not to send our nation?s sons and
    daughters to war."

    "We are here today because Congress is not meeting its constitutional
    responsibility," said Congressman Jones. "If Congress does not debate
    sending your son or daughter to fight for this country, then we don?t
    need a Congress anyway. Nothing is more sacred or important than
    sending a man or woman to die for this country."

    Bruce Fein, constitutional lawyer, said: "No war is worth fighting if
    the President is unable to convince a majority of House and Senate
    members to vote for a congressional declaration of war as required by
    Article I, section 8, clause 11 of the Constitution that Members of
    Congress are obligated, by oath or affirmation, to defend."

    Michael Marceau, Veterans For Peace, President, DC Area Chapter, said:
    "Under the U.S. Constitution, it has been the duty of Congress to
    declare war if they deemed it necessary to do so. For more than half a
    century, our representatives have relinquished this very important job.
    This has resulted in many unnecessary military interventions all around
    the globe, causing untold millions of deaths and injuries, tens of
    millions of refugees, and destruction and environmental contamination
    of dozens of countries. It is time to reverse this course of action by
    having our members of Congress do the jobs they were elected to do.
    Veterans For Peace supports H.Res. 922 and urges Congress to take back
    its assigned responsibilities under the Constitution. We appreciate the
    efforts of Rep. Jones and Rep. Gabbard to introduce H.Res. 922 and urge
    all our members to contact their representatives to demand that they
    cosponsor this."

    Paul Kawika Martin, Peace Action, Senior Director, Policy and Political
    Affairs, said: "It?s long past time to stop permanent presidential wars
    and for the Executive Branch to ask for congressional authorization and
    for Congress to vote on war as the constitution dictates.  That?s why
    Peace Action supports House Resolution 922, introduced by
    Representatives Walter B. Jones (NC-3) and Tulsi Gabbard (HI-2), that
    warns Presidents that circumventing the constitution and failing to get
    congressional approval for wars will be considered an impeachable
    offense."

    On the House floor, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard said:

    "Article 1 Section 8 of the Constitution gives Congress the exclusive
    authority to declare war. But the last time Congress officially
    declared war was December 8th, 1941 ? the day the US entered World War
    II. Ever since, Congress has failed to uphold their constitutional
    responsibility and have instead ceded power to the President. So, we
    remain in a state of perpetual war, led by presidents in both parties
    at great cost to the American people with no declaration of war by
    Congress and no input from the American people.

    "The direct and indirect costs of these presidential wars are
    astounding. They take a toll on our troops, our veterans, and on the
    American people. Since 9/11 alone, we?ve spent trillions of dollars on
    regime-change wars and nation-building while people in our communities
    suffer and struggle because of a lack of resources here at home, what
    to mention the costs borne by our troops, those who pay the ultimate
    price, as well as those who come home with wounds that are visible and
    invisible. The American people deserve accountability. Mr. Walter Jones
    and I have introduced a bipartisan resolution 922 to make sure that
    Congress fulfills its constitutional role, ends presidential wars, and
    has robust debate before making the decision to send our troops into
    battle."

    Background:[21]H.Res 922 would reclaim Congress?s constitutional right
    to declare war by:
      * Defining presidential wars not declared by Congress under Article
        I, section 8, clause 11 (Declare War Clause) as impeachable "high
        crimes and misdemeanors"
      * Prohibiting the President from perpetuating ongoing wars or
        supplying war materials, military troops, trainers, or advisers,
        military intelligence, financial support or their equivalent in
        association, cooperation, assistance, or common cause without first
        receiving congressional authorization

    Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard is a leading voice for peace in Congress,
    advocating against counterproductive, regime-change wars. Most
    recently, she joined a bipartisan coalition of 88 Members of
    Congress[22] urging President Trump to consult and receive
    authorization from Congress prior to ordering the use of US military
    force against Syria. She has also advocated for [23]ending the regime
    change war in Syria and [24]condemned US support of Saudi Arabia in the
    Yemen civil war.

19. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-resolution/922?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%22hres+922%22%7D&r=1
   20. https://www.youtube.com/embed/q91kRKF5EJw
   21. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-resolution/922?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%22hres+922%22%7D&r=1