[pjw] INFO: 100th Veterans day in Portland: City Council proclamation

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Tue Nov 6 17:25:12 EST 2018

PJW supporters

While the Veterans for Peace Chapter 72 Facebook page has a graphic
acknowledging that this Sunday is the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI
("Reclaim Armistice Day 1918-2018") there is no indication whether they
will be doing their usual Veterans Day event at 11 AM on 11/11. We will
try to keep you posted.

https://www.facebook.com/VeteransForPeaceChapter72/

Interesting with all the buzz around today's election, nobody is talking
about how we're in the 18th year of the war in Afghanistan, not to mention
other endless wars.

Meanwhile, Commissioner Nick Fish and Mayor Ted Wheeler are set to
proclaim Nov. 11 as "Veteran's Day" -- yes, there's a typo in the
proclamation and on the City Council agenda-- at 10:15 AM tomorrow,
Wednesday November 7. Sorry for the short notice, but the fact is that as
a proclamation there will be no testimony taken.

Here's a link to the item:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/auditor/article/702038

It starts well, noting it is really armistice day, but then goes into a
whole thing about protecting the homeland and other "patriotic" rhetoric,
without noting this was supposed to be the war to end all wars. And look
where we are today.

Marion Ward, who is with VFP 72, sent an email to the Mayor and cc'd it to
us, I have pasted that in below the proclamation. If you want to send your
own comments, here are the addresses for City Council:

           Commissioner Amanda Fritz <amanda at portlandoregon.gov>
           Commissioner Chloe Eudaly <chloe at portlandoregon.gov>
           Commissioner Dan Saltzman <dan at portlandoregon.gov>
           Commissioner Nick Fish <Nick at portlandoregon.gov>
           Mayor Ted Wheeler <MayorWheeler at portlandoregon.gov>
           Council testimony <cctestimony at portlandoregon.gov>

Here's is the full text of the resolution:

CITY OF PORTLAND

Whereas, November 11th, 2018 marks the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day,
the day on which fighting ended during World War 1; and

Whereas, since the inception of our country, the courageous men and women
of our Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard have exemplified - and
continue to exemplify - selflessness and steadfast commitment while
risking their lives to protect our freedoms; and

Whereas, by tirelessly defending our homeland, veterans have earned and
deserve the highest degree of respect and support; and

Whereas, veterans and military members who endured and overcame suffering
and injury honor us with their inspiring dignity, perseverance, and valor;
and

Whereas, we admire and stand beside the families and loved ones of those
who have served or continue to serve -and the determined resolution with
which they bear their hard-ship; and

Whereas, we are forever grateful for the freedom that we are able to enjoy
in Portland and across the United States, thanks to the service and
sacrifice of our military;

Now, therefore, I, Ted Wheeler, Mayor of the City of Portland, Oregon, the
"City of Roses," do hereby proclaim November 11th, 2018 to be

Veteran's Day [sic]

in Portland, Oregon and encourage all residents to honor those who have
served and those who currently serve to preserve our values of justice,
freedom, and democracy.