[pjw] ACTION REMINDER: "18 Years and 8 Convictions: Time to Shut Guantanamo" Fri 1/10/20 4:30 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Fri Dec 27 17:33:26 EST 2019

Hello again Iraq AG supporters

This is a reminder that our event marking 18 years since the prison camp
opened in Guantanamo Bay Cuba is just two weeks from today-- Friday Jan
10. I do have one person who has promised to either help load the tower in
the office (at about 3:30 PM that day) or bring it back from the Square
(from 6-6:30 or so). If you can pledge to do one half-- or both (and relieve
that person) let me know. We should also make sure to have at least one,
maybe two people in the Square to watch the tower while I park my car (at
about 4 PM) and when I'm retrieving it (at about 6 PM). I think Betty is
going to hang out in the Square while we march...

I also realized, and have added to the calendar listing below, that Jan 10
will be the 950th consecutive week that PPRC has been holding down that
corner at SW Yamhill and Broadway--- amazing.

We're still open to adding other cosponsors other than us, PPRC and
Amnesty International Group 48, let us know if your group wants to help.

The below info online at
http://www.pjw.info/guantanamo_18yl.html

flyer is at

http://www.pjw.info/gitmo18yl_flyer.pdf .

Let people know and see you in two weeks!

Thanks
dan handelman

Peace and Justice Works
     Iraq Affinity Group
     PO Box 42456
     Portland, OR   97242
     (503) 236-3065  (Office)
     iraq at pjw.info
     http://www.pjw.info/Iraq.html

CALENDAR LISTING

For immediate release                    December 27, 2019

             18 Years and 8 Convictions: Time to Shut Guantanamo
                        Visibility action, rally and march
                 Expanded PPRC Friday Rally for Peace and Justice
                             Friday, January 10, 2020
                                 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM

January 11, 2020 marks 18 years since the opening of the US prison camp in
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Once again, local human rights, peace and justice
organizations are planning a visibility action, rally and march on Friday,
January 10 to mark the occasion with the theme "18 Years and 8
Convictions: Time to Shut Guantanamo. The action is an expanded Portland
Peaceful Response Friday Rally for peace and justice, taking place from
4:30 PM* to 6:00 PM at the corner of SW Yamhill and Broadway, Pioneer
Courthouse Square. Cosponsoring the event are the Peace and Justice Works
Iraq Affinity Group and Amnesty International Group 48.

The prison now holds just 40 people (from a height of nearly 800 at one
point), and stands as a symbol of the United States' deteriorating respect
for due process, human rights and the rule of law. Out of the hundreds of
people imprisoned, only eight have ever been convicted. Others have grown
old while being indefinitely detained, prompting the installation of
wheelchair ramps rather than freeing the prisoners. In early 2018,
President Trump reversed President Obama's policy directive that called to
find a way to shut down Guantanamo.Local Portland groups join worldwide
voices calling to Close Guantanamo Now!

A flyer for the event is available at
http://www.pjw.info/gitmo18yl_flyer.pdf .

PPRC's rallies began in November, 2001 shortly after the US war on
Afghanistan began. The January 10 event marks the 950th consecutive week
that PPRC has been at this corner protesting, rain or shine.

For more information contact Peace and Justice Works at (503) 236-3065
(call or text) or iraq at pjw.info.

*- PPRC rallies usually start at 5 PM but this event will begin at 4:30.