[pjw] MEETING reminder+flyer: Iraq Affinity Group meets Monday, February 18, 7 PM

Peace and Justice Works pjw at pjw.info
Sat Feb 16 17:43:50 EST 2019

Hi once more Iraq Affinity Group supporters

This email is to:

a) remind you that the Iraq Affinity Group meeting is coming up this
Monday, Feb. 18 at 7 PM (proposed agenda below)

b) let you know that we have now posted a flyer for the March 19
visibility action marking 16 years since the Iraq invasion:

  http://pjw.info/iraq_16yl_flyer.pdf

(I also realized the event wasn't listed on the home page or IAG page
even though the event itself has been online since Jan 28).

c) For those who think there's no US war in Afghanistan any more, here's a
tidbit we'll mention at the meeting:

   https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/02/11/us-airstrikes-hit-decade-long-high-amid-peace-efforts-afghanistan.html
  US Airstrikes Hit Decade-Long High Amid Peace Efforts in Afghanistan
     11 Feb 2019    Military.com

  "U.S. fighters, bombers, attack aircraft and drones released 7,362
  weapons in 2018, according to the latest U.S. Air Forces Central
  Command airpower statistics summary published last week."

Thats an average of more than 20 bombs a day.

OK, see you Monday?

----------------------------

Reminder:

The next meeting of the Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group will
be held Monday, February 18 at 7 PM at our office at 2807 SE Stark.
(Meetings are usually on the 2nd Monday of each month.)

As usual, if you're unable to attend in person we can try to plug you in by
phone, just let us know if you want to do that.

Here's the proposed agenda for Monday's meeting:

MISSION STATEMENT:
     The Peace and Justice Works Iraq Affinity Group is committed to educating
     the public about the effects of U.S. policy on the people of Iraq, and
     other areas including SW Asia, North Africa, and the "Middle East,"
     and on the domestic costs of war.

7:00 PM Political update: brief headlines including what's new in Iraq,
      Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya, Iran, Gaza, Yemen, Korea, and
      the US

7:25 PM Proposed and ongoing actions:
     ---Iraq invasion 16 years later action March 19 -- planning
     ---Venezuela and other US troop deployments-- discussion
     ---Letter to congressional reps about Yemen / War Powers-- follow up
     ---Troops home campaign / letter to Governor 2017 (sent again 11/18)
         & Blumenauer, plus war $ home/ Mayor's Conference--updates
     ---Joint Terrorism Task Force campaign-- updates
     ---Meetings with peace and justice community members
          --in light of likelihood of more wars
             (including follow up to IVAW Jan 5 2017 forum)--updates/action
     ---BDS resolution regarding City investments-- update
     ---Upcoming ideas /opportunities for educational forums/demonstrations
     --Other recent ideas

8:15 PM Other upcoming events/action items (incoming requests)

8:25 PM Other business--finances/fundraising and office space / phone
       PJW annual meeting coming up Sunday Feb 24 12 noon at SJAC
       Outreach/membership recruitment

8:35 PM Set next meeting
          Announcements

8:40 PM end

Please write back if there is anything missing from the proposed agenda or if
you want to attend but won't be able to make it.

As always, we need your support to help us keep doing our work!
           Donate on line: http://www.pjw.info/pjwdonate.html